Writing: Favourite Sport
An English-speaking friend who lives in Ukraine has decided to take up your favourite sport (soccer, judo, cycling, paintball, etc.). Write a letter to your friend. In your letter:
- explain the rules/techniques of the sport
- describe where to do it and who with
- write about all the necessary equipment and give any other advice that may be helpful.
Hi there! I’m Veronika and here is my letter.
I was thrilled to hear that you’ve decided to take up paintball! It’s an adrenaline-packed game that is sure to give you an unforgettable experience.
To play paintball, you will need some equipment such as a helmet, a marker (weapon), a vest, and ammunition. The marker uses compressed air to fire paint-filled gelatin capsules that break upon impact, leaving a colored mark on the target. The vest is worn to protect the player’s upper body from getting hit by the paintballs. It’s important to wear comfortable clothing that can get dirty, and sturdy shoes that will give you good traction on the field.
The rules of paintball mostly depend on the scenario, but there are some basic rules that all players must follow. For example, it is forbidden to charge weapons with balls and gas on the battlefield. This can only be done at the starting base. The player must also wear a helmet at all times, otherwise, they could get seriously injured. The game usually ends when one team eliminates all members of the opposing team, or when a specific objective is achieved.
Paintball is a great way to get some exercise, release some stress, and bond with friends. It’s a team game, so you’ll need to work together with your teammates to achieve your goals. Communication is key, so make sure to develop a good strategy before the game starts.
If you don’t have a team yet, don’t worry, you can easily find one at the paintball field. It’s a great way to meet new people who share your interests.
I’m so excited for you to try paintball for the first time! It’s an experience unlike any other. Remember to have fun and be safe.
Let me know how your first paintball game goes, I can’t wait to hear all about it!
Some Interesting Facts about Paintball
- In the 1970s, Daisy and Crosman created paintball markers that were first used for marking trees and animals by foresters. Their long-range capabilities made them ideal for paintball.
- Paintball was invented in 1981 by Hayes Noel and Charles Gaines, and Bob Gumsey developed the rules. They played the first game with nine friends in New Hampshire, and the winner didn’t even fire a shot.
- Bob Gumsey created the first commercial paintball field in New Hampshire in 1982, and paintball has since become an extreme sport and a multi-million dollar industry.
- Paintballs are not actually made of paint, but of biodegradable, water-soluble material inside gelatin capsules.
- Paintball guns can shoot up to 15 paintballs per second and can reach speeds of up to 200mph, with a range of over 50 yards. Tippmann created the first automatic paintball gun in 1989, called the SMG-60.
- While official games typically involve up to 15 players per team, non-official games can have teams of 40-50 players. The largest paintball games ever held had over 4,000 players.
- Paintball is played in more than 100 countries across six continents, with a variety of game formats and rules. One rule that always remains the same is to avoid getting hit.
- Paintball is a very safe sport.
- Paintball gear includes a gun, helmet, snood, mask, body armor, overalls, gloves, and most importantly, goggles.
- Paintball games can range from seconds to multiple days in scenario games.
Write about your favourite sport. Leave your comment.