Do Test 2 Level A2 Pre-Intermediate
Test 2 Level A2 Pre-Intermediate is for students of the ninth and tenth grades learning English as a foreign language.
Task 1. Read the passage and answer the questions 1–5 (only one answer is possible).
In 1923, a man named Doane Robinson had an idea. He wanted to have a large sculpture made in the Mount Rushmore. As he lived in the South Dakota and was interested in his state’s history, he thought the sculpture should show heroes of the West, like Lewis and Clark or Indian chiefs. Robinson found Gutzon Borglum, an artist to make the sculpture. But Borglum had a different idea for the sculpture. He thought the sculpture should have American presidents and symbolize American idea of freedom.
First the artist designed a small model of the sculpture. Then in 1927, he began to work on the mountain. Over 400 men assisted him. They built stairs to the top of the rock cliff, destroyed the rock with dynamite and carved it. On October 31, 1941, the sculpture was done. But Gutzon Borglum never saw the finished sculpture. He died less than a year before it was done. His son helped finish the job.
The sculpture has the faces of four presidents on it. The presidents are George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. Gutzon Borglum would be proud to know that Mount Rushmore is now a national memorial.
1. What kind of heroes did Doane Robinson want the new sculpture to have?
A. heroes of the West
B. book heroes
C. presidents of the United States
D. famous sports heroes
2. Who designed the Mount Rushmore sculpture?
A. Doane Robinson
B. Gutzon Borglum
C. Richard Rushmore
D. South Dakota
3. How long did it take to complete the sculpture?
A. 41 years
B. 27 years
C. 18 years
D. 14 years
4. What happened less than a year before the Mount Rushmore sculpture was done?
A. There was no money to finish it.
B. The workers stopped working on the sculpture.
C. The sculpture was destroyed.
D. Gutzon Borglum died.
5. What is the synonym for sculpture?
Task 2. Match statements (6–10) to the notices (A–G).
6. Boys will not get this work.
7. You do not have to be late.
8. Not all people may call from here.
9. You must pay before travelling.
10. Put it in a cold place.
A. Clothes shop requires an assistant. Girls only. No experience needed. Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
B. School trip to Science Museum. Bus leaves Friday 8 am.
C. Ticket office closed. Buy your ticket on the train.
D. Bookshop – closed Friday afternoon
E. Keep in fridge after opening
F. Telephone for customers’ use only
G. Do not get on the train without a ticket
Task 3. For beginnings 11–16 choose the correct endings A–J. There are four choices you do not need to use.
11. Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day …
12. The Day of Independence on July 4th …
13. Halloween …
14. Labour Day …
15. Guy Fawkes’ Night …
16. Columbus Day (Discovery Day)…
A. is thought to be the one night of the year when ghosts, witches, and fairies are especially active.
B. is celebrated in England on November 5th with fireworks and bonfires.
C. traditionally celebrates the giving thanks for the autumn harvest.
D. is celebrated in America with parades, shows, bonfires and firework displays.
E. is an American public holiday when Christopher Columbus is honoured.
F. is the day when people brighten up their homes with evergreens.
G. is the day when people express their love for each other by sending Valentine’s cards.
H. is the day when America was discovered by Europeans.
I. is the first Monday in September and includes picnics, games and activities for children.
J. is celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
Task 4. Choose the correct answer A–D.
17. I didn’t like the film. I thought it was very __________.
18. Tidy up your room, it’s so __________!
19. Was he the man __________ phoned you?
20. I couldn’t sleep because of the __________ wind.
21. Do you know if your school sports club is inviting any new members? John __________ to join it, so I said I would ask.
A. is liking
B. had liked
C. would like
D. has been liking
22. I believe mobile phones __________ change the way we live.
A. certainly could
B. will definitely
C. may definitely
D. can definitely
23. __________ decided to participate in the competition.
A. Everybody of them
B. All the group
C. Every people
D. Each people
24. __________ in Europe are excited about the Football World Cup.
A. Each country
B. Every country
C. The whole country
D. All the countries
Task 5. Writing
25. This weekend your school is organizing an Eco-Saturday when students have to clean the territory of a local park. Write a note and inform your schoolmates of the following:
• describe condition of the park;
• when the event will be held;
• necessary clothes and equipment;
• duties – what students have to do.
Leave A Comment