Level A1 Elementary
Do you like parties? Have you ever been at a Halloween Party?
Read the text and do the tasks
I love Halloween. It’s on the 31st of October and this night witches fly through the air on their broomsticks. We always have a party.
My little brother, Michael, makes a funny face in a pumpkin. When it is dark, we put a candle inside a pumpkin. We always wear fancy dresses at our Halloween party. I love wearing my witch costume. I wear my mother’s long black dress and a tall pointed hat. I also have a broomstick. Michael usually wears a big white sheet and becomes a ghost. He runs around the house and shouts, “Oooooooooh!”
The party starts at seven o’clock. My friends all come in a fancy dress. This year we’ve got five witches, three ghosts and one vampire! We play Halloween games. For example, we try to eat the apples which are in a big bowl of water, and we can’t touch them with our hands. It’s very difficult! And of course we have lots of sausages and crisps to eat.
- witch – відьма
- broomstick – мітла
- pumpkin – гарбуз
- fancy dress – маскарадний костюм
- ghost – привід
- vampire – вампир
- bowl – миска
Task 1. Give short answers to the questions.
- When is Halloween?
- Who flies through the air this night?
- What is a funny face made of?
- What costume do I usually wear?
- What does Michael look like on Halloween night?
- How many ghosts have we got this year?
- How many vampires have we got this year?
- What do witches fly on?
- What food do we have for the party?
- When does the party start?
Task 2. Match the words with their descriptions:
an apple, a sheet, October, a pumpkin, a candle, a witch, sausages, a bowl, a broomstick, Halloween, a pointed hat, a fancy dress, a funny face, a ghost, a party
- A witch flies on it.
- A big round yellow vegetable used as a lantern.
- A white figure that says, “Ooooooooh!”
- A costume that children wear.
- A holiday that we celebrate on the 31st of October.
- A fruit which we use to play games on Halloween.
- Michael makes it in a pumpkin.
- A woman who flies on a broomstick.
- We put it inside the pumpkin on Halloween.
- A witch wears it on the head.
- My brother uses it to make a costume of a ghost.
- We put apples there to play a game.
- The month when people celebrate Halloween.
- We eat them on Halloween.
- It starts at seven o’clock.
Task 3. Are these statements true or false?
- Halloween is on the 31st of October.
- I wear my mother’s short white dress.
- Michael comes to the party without a costume.
- There are no vampires at the party.
- The party starts at half past seven in the evening.
- It is hard to eat an aplle which is in a bowl of water.
- We enjoy Halloween games at the party.
- My father makes a funny face in a pumpkin.
- There are three ghosts at the party.