Grammar Time: Passive Voice
Let’s revise active and passive voice.
Exam in Mind Level B1
Compare Active and Passive voice
We build the house. – The house is built.
We are building the house. – The house is being built.
We have built the house. – The house has been built.
We built the house. – The house was built.
We were building the house. – The house was being built.
We had built the house. – The house had been built.
We will build the house. – The house will be built.
We will have built the house. – The house will have been built.
Be going to
We are going to build the house. – The house is going to be built.
We can build the house. – The house can be built.
Have practice doing these exercises. Compare Active and Passive Voice.
Task 1. Rewrite the sentences and make them passive.
- They are serving breakfast in the dining room.
- They play rugby in all the Commonwealth countries.
- You must clean your suit for the ceremony.
- The authorities are opening the town health centre next week.
- Nobody can beat Liverpool.
- After John had repaired the car, he sold it.
- Steven King wrote the book.
- You should send the email today.
- The doctor must examine you again.
- The company has produced cars since the beginning of the century.
- The Egyptians buried pharaohs in pyramids.
- They will meet you at the train station.
- Has everyone read the instructions?
- The nurse reads the newspaper to the old man every day.
- They must have left the documents behind.
Task 2. Make sentences in passive voice using the tenses in brackets. Add words where necessary.
- Great motorcycles – make – Japan (PRESENT SIMPLE)
- The lawn – not mow –last week (PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE)
- The postman – not see – recently (PRESENT PERECT SIMPLE)
- The Gothic cathedral – build – 10th century. (PAST SIMPLE)
- Many languages – speak – in the EU (PRESENT SIMPLE)
- The schoolhouse – repair – today (PRESENT PROGRESSIVE)
- The prize – award – tomorrow (FUTURE SIMPLE)
- After the accident – Harry – take – to a doctor (PAST SIMPLE)
- When I came in – the fridge – repair (PAST PROGRESSIVE)
- The jewels – find – in the basement. (PAST SIMPLE)
- After the shop – close – it – sell (PAST PERFECT SIMPLE – PAST SIMPLE)
- Special technology – use (PRESENT PROGRESSIVE)
- The thief – not find – by the police (PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE)
- The shop – close – next month (FUTURE SIMPLE)
- The cat – call – Sissy (PRESENT SIMPLE
Task 3. Fill in the correct passive form of the verb.
- Romeo and Juliet ___________________ by Shakespeare. (WRITE)
- The books _________________________ yet. (NOT PUBLISH)
- As soon as I got home, I realized that my wallet _________________________. (STEAL)
- Dinner _________________________ between 5 and 10 p.m. every day. (SERVE)
- No letters _________________________ since the start of the strike. (DELIVER)
- The building _________________________ torn down when we got there (BE).
- Progress in many fields of science _________________________ in the last decade. (MAKE)
- Since last week 5 of the 7 terrorists _________________________. (CATCH)
- Taxes _________________________ by the new government next month. (INCREASE)
- The classroom _________________________ next week. (REDECORATE)
- The church _________________________ by a famous architect in the 18th century. (DESIGN)
- The tunnel _________________________ at the moment, so it’s closed for all traffic. (REPAIR)
- My phone _________________________. I can’t find it anywhere. (TAKE)
- The application _________________________ by Friday. (MUST SEND)
- When we first met, I had _________________________ a job at the bank. (ALREADY OFFER)
- Olives _________________________ in Mediterranean countries. (GROW)
- He _________________________ French when he spent his childhood there. (TEACH)
- “A Hard Days Night” _________________________ by the Beatles. (WRITE)
- We _________________________ about the hurricane for the last few days. (WARN)
- Before the meeting was over all the food _________________________. (EAT)
- I _____________________________ extra pay this month. (ALREADY GIVE)
- I _________________________ by the music so I couldn’t concentrate. (DISTURB)
- Aluminium _________________________ out of bauxite. (MAKE)
- _________________________________________ yet? (THE PACKAGES , DELIVER)
- A UFO _________________________ by several witnesses yesterday evening. (SEE)
Task 4. Active and Passive voice. Rewrite the sentences in the passive voice.
- Someone has already paid the workers.
- Who wrote that book?
- They taught him Spanish and gave him a word list.
- People say that the strike will end soon.
- My friend offered me a job at the bank.
- The boss asked him to leave the meeting.
- Did the proposal interest you?
- They will show the paintings at the exhibition until Monday.
- They are repairing the church bells at the moment.
- They say that the man is living in London.
- You have never watered these plants.
- When I entered the room, the teacher was passing out the test instructions.
- They treat and cure people at hospitals.
- They haven’t seen him since last week.
- Everyone says he is a great footballer.
- The police told her that they had found her lost purse.
Task 5. Complete the sentences with the correct active or passive form of the verb in brackets.
- At last night’s ceremony, they _____________ the award to an unknown actress. (GIVE)
- The survivors __________________ by a cruise ship that __________________ to be near them. (RESCUE, HAPPEN)
- Two hours after the accident the doctor __________________ him dead. (DECLARE)
- I remember __________________ to the circus by my father. (BE TAKE)
- The weather _____________________ in the next few days. (NOT IMPROVE)
- Coffee _____________________ before you __________________ it. (MUST ROAST, SELL)
- The bridge _______________________ at the moment so it _____________________. (REPAIR, CANNOT USE)
- The police __________________ the victim a picture of the suspect. (SHOW)
- The new staff members _____________________ all the help they need. (GIVE)
- That door _________________________ for ages. (NOT OPEN)
- A few days ago, a judge __________________ him to appear before court next month. (ORDER)
- The Times __________________________ such a shocking letter before. (NEVER PUBLISH)
- They _________________________ on what to do when the headmaster __________________in. (INSTRUCT, COME)
- The vandals __________________ bottles into windows and __________________ a few cars. (THROW, DESTROY)
- The new teammates _______________________ more time to get accustomed to the practice sessions. (SHOULD GIVE)
- After dad __________________ me to the zoo, he __________________ me some new clothes at the department store. (TAKE, BUY)
- I __________________ to the party last Thursday because I ____________________. (NOT GO, NOT INVITE)
- I __________________ so surprised by such an outstanding performance before. (NEVER BE)
- When we __________________ out of the cinema, the bus __________________ to take us home. (COME, WAIT)
- All the papers _____________________ in by next Friday. (MUST HAND)
Task 6. Active and Passive voice.Rewrite the sentences in the passive voice.
- The mechanic cannot repair mother’s car because they have not delivered the spare parts.
- Farmers have grown wheat in this part of the country for decades.
- All the newspapers are reporting the scandal.
- How did you make this delicious meal?
- The police didn’t find the missing girl, so they issued a statement.
- You should keep white wine at about 8°C.
- Shop security will report all shoplifters to the police.
- The doctors told Judy that she has six months to live.
- Pupils must not step on the freshly cut lawn.
- People speak English all over the world.
- Hotel management asks all guests to check out before noon.
- They were renovating the old museum when we walked by.
- You can buy tickets for the concert here.
- The brought him to the arena by helicopter.
- Someone will steal your new bike if you don’t put a lock on it.
Task 7. Active and Passive voice. Rewrite the sentences in the passive voice.
- They will read out the names of the winners in tomorrow’s show.
- The shop assistant offered a refund to the customer.
- Look! someone has broken the vase.
- The police are investigating the murder.
- Candidates must write their answers in ink.
- The judge shouldn’t have postponed the hearing.
- They said that he was innocent.
- They make all of the components in foreign factories.
- I don’t like people lying to me.
- Picasso painted Guernica in 1937.
- People have fought wars throughout history.
- They have often described New York as the busiest city in the world.
- Nobody has done the washing up.
- They are demolishing the stadium so the team can’t play any games there.
- The city authorities sold the land three years ago.
Task 8. Active and Passive voice. Rewrite the sentences in the passive voice.
- Someone might have stolen the valuable jewels.
- They are monitoring the whole area with TV cameras.
- Everyone must wear hard hats when working on the building site.
- Scientists have not tested the new product on humans.
- The company normally delivers cars within a month.
- They saw the suspect entering the building.
- The teacher ought to have sent her to the headmaster.
- The organizers will offer drinks during the break.
- The manager will report all shoplifters to the police.
- Border officials made me open my suitcase.
- You cannot trust politicians.
- My husband gave me a new cell phone for my birthday.
- They were opening the parcel when I came in.
- People say that the Copacabana is the most wonderful beach in the world.
- They will have told him the news by next week.
- Nobody has ever told him how to manage the club.
Task 9. Active and Passive voice. Rewrite the sentences in the passive voice.
- The lawyer is preparing some important documents for the trial.
- They are building a new amusement park in this neighbourhood.
- The politicians will have reached a decision by tomorrow.
- Millions of people all over the world watch this programme.
- They ought to pay the workers more.
- Somebody stole my car from the car park.
- She hasn’t watered these plants for over a week.
- Joe introduced me to his girlfriend last week.
- The audience is not listening to the speaker.
- They might invite us to the party, but I’m not sure.
- Candidates must return their applications by the end of next week.
- We will finish all the school projects by the end of the next term.
- Somebody took this picture a while ago.
- The authorities should raise more money for the new church.
- They gave us a guided tour of the museum.
- The workers were repairing the roof when the fire started.
Task 10. Active and Passive voice. Rewrite the sentences with subordinate clauses in the passive voice.
- I want someone to love me.
- It seems that someone cleaned the office on Tuesday.
- Amy thinks that someone is reading to her son.
- I don’t like people seeing me in my pyjamas.
- My little niece loves people chasing her.
- I understand that someone hit Greg.
- Is it the case that someone sent the report on time?
- We avoided people seeing us.
- I think that someone built the house in 1814.
- I understand that someone fired John.
- I like someone looking after me when I’m ill.
- She hates people laughing at her.
- It seems that someone lost the papers.
- He thinks that someone is teasing Lucy.
- I hope someone will examine me soon.
- John would like someone to promote him.
- The cat enjoys someone tickling him.
- They claim that someone stole the money.
- We imagined that the storm damaged the car.
- I believe that someone is preparing food.
Task 11. Rewrite the sentences from passive into active voice.
- The school was struck by lightning.
- This morning the burglar was arrested by the police.
- One type of air pollution is caused by hydrocarbons.
- An elaborate supper for the miners was prepared by Mr. Patel and his children.
- The cookies were stolen by the Mad Hatter.
- New York City’s Central Park was designed in 1857 by F.L. Olmsted and Calbert Vaux.
- It was decided by the court that the contract was invalid.
- The first commercially successful portable vacuum cleaner was invented by a janitor who was allergic to dust.
- After Leonardo da Vinci‘s death, the Mona Lisa was purchased by King Francis I of France.
- The allegorical novel Animal Farm was written by British author George Orwell during World War II.
- The lamppost was hit by the car.
- The flyers were distributed by Dana.
- Experiments have been conducted by scientists to test the hypothesis.
- The entrance exam was failed by over one-third of the applicants to the school.
- Have you ever been bitten by a dog?
- The Rocky Mountains are known for their scenery.
- George was stopped by a policeman.
- Two black cars were stolen last Thursday.
- Her cat has just been found by her in the garden.
- A new iPhone will be bought by me the following day.