Grammar Time: Plurals of Nouns
Plurals of Nouns Exercises will help have more practice in using plurals of nouns. Revise the rule before doing the tasks.
Exam in Mind Level B1/B2
Have Practice: Plurals of Nouns Exercises
Task 1. Put the words in brackets in the plural.
- The store was overrun with rats and (mouse)__________.
- I helped him put some (shelf)__________ in his bedroom.
- He is one of the country’s national (hero)__________.
- He collects (pocket-knife)__________.
- His both (son-in-law)__________ were (fisherman)__________.
- The police asked (passer-by)__________ if they had seen the accident.
- Most parents have problems with their teenage (offspring)__________.
- Yesterday’s crash has grim (echo)__________ of previous disaster.
- (Salmon)__________ live in the sea but swim up rivers to lay their eggs.
- Books provide (child)__________ with ideas and (stimulus)__________ to play.
- I respect your religious (belief)__________.
- Corn circles are one of the strangest (phenomenon)__________ of recent times.
- Parliament consists of 653 (MP)__________, about two-thirds of whom belong to the Government.
- Do you have any (spray) or anything else that will keep away (fly)__________ or (mosquito)__________?
- Television and newspapers are the mass (medium)__________ of advertising.
Task 2. Write the plurals of the words given in brackets to complete the sentences.
- We cut the cake into __________ (half).
- We bought some __________ to eat with our __________ (tomato, sandwich).
- They caught several __________ that afternoon (fish).
- It was a shop selling __________ and ________ (stereo, video).
- Would you like some of these __________ (potato)?
- All the __________ had different __________ (house, roof).
- It was autumn, and the __________ were falling (leaf).
- Did you make these __________ (handkerchief)?
- They visited several __________ that night (disco).
- We have some __________ and a few __________ (chicken, sheep).
- I bought some __________ for the __________ (shelf, glass).
- The __________ went in one door and the __________ went in the other (man, woman).
- They have a lot of __________ and __________ at the moment (worry, grief).
- Would you bring me the __________(knife)?
- The __________ chased the __________ for several miles (wolf, deer).
- In the silence there came a clatter of ________ (hoof).
- The __________ sprang up in front of his __________, the air was full of __________ (lark, foot, butterfly).
- Four ships were carrying __________ for his __________ in Brooklyn (cargo, warehouse).
- He told me there were __________ in the stream below the town (trout).
- I really cannot help your __________ or your __________ (belief disbelief).
Task 3. Change the number of the nouns in italics making all the necessary changes.
- Afterwards he took a photo of me to finish out the film.
- He talked to another Divisional chief.
- His shirt cuff showed up spotless, just half an inch beneath the sleeve.
- He was as lively as a trout in a mountain stream.
- It was like lying in darkness with a mosquito hovering above his face.
- The cab moved along the side of the wood, and he heard a late cuckoo calling.
- Everybody had a handkerchief concealed in his cuff.
- The archeologists discovered bones of a mammoth and a polar bear.
- She stamped her foot, then looked up at him.
- It can’t be a mouse because there aren’t any crumbs.
Task 4. Give the plural of the following nouns:
Motto, species, hero, play, photo, thief, ghetto, manifesto, valley, wolf, match, UFO, tomato, safe, box, leaf, elf, axe, goose, inch, series, cuff, volcano, studio, ox, VIP, louse, means, casino, alibi, kimono, sheaf, SOS.
Task 5. Complete the following table with the correct noun (singular or plural).
Task 6. Translate the words in brackets into English.
- The Siberian (волки)__________ crept closer.
- People like you take us for (воры)__________.
- Had I a hundred (жизни)__________, would I not gladly lay them down for my country?
- A great many books were scattered on the (полки)__________, two tables and the floor.
- He took some small (буханки)__________ of bread, some cheese and a tin of lobster.
- Soon the servant reappeared with armfuls of silk robes, shawls, (шарфы)__________.
- The sound of horses’ (копыта)__________ woke him up.
- He was dressed in a long green overcoat with fur (манжеты)__________.
- There is a proverb «To set the fox to keep the (гуси)__________».
- It will happen when two (воскресенья)________ come together.
- The sheep in (двое)__________ and (трое)________ were loping away from the shed.
- We’ve got a social crisis in the North, it involves (эскимосов)__________ and (белых)_________.
- He was beheaded by one of the (Генри)________.
- I think I’ve found (средство)_____ to help him.
- I heard their (до свидания)__________ in my ears as I walked down the platform.
- (Буйволы)_____ migrate across the plains.
- This (перекресток)_______ is rather dangerous.
- The corn was cut, tied in (снопы)__________ and left to dry.
- The (эхо)__________ of his scream sounded in the cave for several seconds.
- The number one million is written with a one and six (нулей)__________.
- (Кимоно)__________ are traditionally worn by the Japanese.
- Both ships were sunk by (торпедами)________.
- One wall had (полки)_____ from floor to ceiling.
- He wrote (серию)__________ of articles devoted to modern farming methods.
- (Вулканы)__________ discharge massive quantities of dust into the stratosphere.
- We were happy to hear the first (кукушек)__________ оf spring.
- He lived among (эскимосов)______ for ten years.
- Soon the only black (носороги)__________ left may be those in (зоопарках)__________.
- (Казино)__________ are places where card games are played for money.
- Pandas eat (бамбук)__________.
- We found a rare (вид)__________ of orchid.
- The apples are ninety (пенсов)_________ a kilo.
- A post office was broken into last night and the (воры)__________ got away with $120, 000.
- My daughter’s favourite fairy tale is «Snow White and the Seven (гномов)__________».
- (Треска)__________ are found in the North Atlantic and the North Sea.