The Past Continuous Tense
Exam in Mind Level A1 / B1
- Past Continuous вживається для описання дій, які тривали у певний час у минулому.
- Past Continuous утворюється за допомогою допоміжних дієслів was (в однині) та were (у множині) та закінчення – ing, яке додається до дієслова-присудка.
I / He / She / It was +V-ing
You / We / They +V-ing
Слова-маркери: when, while, as, at 6 o’clock yesterday, all morning, the whole day, from 6 till 8
The Past Continuous Tense is used:
- to describe actions which were in the middle of the process at a stated time in the past: She was cooking supper at six o’clock yesterday.
- to describe two or more actions which were happening at the same time in the past: She was speaking on the phone while he was watching TV.
- to describe an action in the past which was in progress when another action interrupted it: They were talking about something when I came up to them.
The girl was skiing at 5 o’clock yesterday.
You were listening to music all day yesterday.
While he was reading a book, his wife was speaking on the phone.
The children were playing in the yard when their father came home.
The girl was not/wasn’t skiing at 5 o’clock yesterday.
You were not/weren’t listening to music all day yesterday.
The children were not/weren’t playing in the yard when their father came home.
When was she skiing?
What was he doing all the morning yesterday?
Who was reading a book?
Were the children playing in the yard?
Was she speaking on the phone?
Have practice using the Past Continuous Tense.
Exercise 1 . Complete the sentences with was or were.
- Charles _______cleaning his room at 4 o’clock.
- Peter _______ doing his homework the whole evening.
- Jane and her mother ________ working in the garden the whole morning.
- Father _______ having breakfast at 8 o’clock.
- I ______ having dinner when you rang me up.
- Kate’s mother ________ supper in the kitchen when I came in.
- The cat ______ sleeping when I returned home.
- The children _________ having a walk in the park when it began to rain.
- The teacher ________ on the blackboard when the bell rang.
Exercise 2. Ask questions.
- Dick was making a report at 7 o’clock. – Was _______?
- Jane was writing a poem for the wall newspaper. – What _______?
- Robert was having his English at 10. – When _______?
- Ann was playing the piano the whole evening. – Who _______?
- Helen was digging potatoes the whole morning. – Was _______?
- The children were going to the park when it began to rain. – Where _______?
- Ann was writing on the blackboard when the bell rang. – Where _______?
- The children were hurrying to the canteen when the teacher met them. – Were _______?
Exercise 3. Answer the following questions.
Model: What were you doing when I rang you up? – I was playing the piano.
- What was Ann writing when mother entered the room?
- Whom were you speaking to when I saw you?
- What were you looking for when I opened the door?
- What were you laughing at when I came in?
- What were the children doing when it began to rain?
- What was Helen doing when the phone rang?
- What were you listening to when the teacher opened the door?
- What was Tom doing when his friend came?
Exercise 4. Change the sentences from Simple Present Tense to Past Continuous.
- She helps me. – She was helping me.
- My friend plays the piano.
- We listen to the music.
- You make a lot of mistakes.
- The farmer works in the field.
- The small boy rings the bell.
- He looks at the pictures.
- The workman paints the house.
Exercise 5. Change the sentences from Simple Past to Past Continuous.
- I opened the door. – I was opening the door.
- The cat slept.
- The boys wrote a letter.
- We sang a song.
- Thomas made a model airplane.
- The bell rang.
- Bill and Henry swam in the river.
Exercise 6. Put the verb in brackets into the Past Continuous Tense.
- John got off the train while it ___(go).
- It ___(rain) when we went out.
- I ___(play) the piano when he came into the room.
- I came into the room when Mary ___(play) the violin.
- John ___(work) all day yesterday.
- She ___ (live) in England when the War began.
- He hurt his foot while he ___ (climb) a tree.
- The baby ___ (eat) its dinner when I came home.
- He ___ (walk) home when the rain began.
- The car hit a tree while it ___ (travel) at 60 miles an hour.
Exercise 7. Use the Past Progressive in the sentences below.
- I ___ (not listen), so I missed what he had said.
- We stayed at the camp longer because we ___ (enjoy) ourselves.
- ___ (they play) tennis yesterday?
- He ___ (garden) all weekend.
- ___ (you watch) television all evening?
- It ___ (rain) hard all day.
- I ___ (wonder) whether you can lend me some money.
- ___ (you still work) when I left?
- I lived in France at the time you ___ (live) in Spain.
- When she was younger she ___ (always do) things for other people.
- Bill and Sue ___ (constantly improve) their house before they moved.
- ___ (you read) when I rang you?
- Just as I ___ (get) to an interesting part of the story the doorbell rang.
Leave A Comment