For those students who are keen on learning English and would like to check themselves doing English Olympiad Year 9 Reading Test 6
Reading Comprehension Test for Year 9 Students
On New Year’s Eve a few years ago I decided to go skiing for the first time with two friends. They are the complete opposite of me in that they are really brave and fearless – they’ve been skiing and diving all their lives, whereas I’m a bit of a coward. Surprisingly, however, I enjoyed it very much and the second we went I felt much more confident and decided to move away from skiing on the nursery slopes. I was doing really well and skiing down quite a steep slope when I heard one of my friends say, “Wow, Barbara, you’re moving fast!” I thought, “Yes, I’m, aren’t I – but how do I stop?” Suddenly all my confidence left me and I fell very badly. I didn’t break anything but I twisted my knee. The rest of the holiday was spent sitting on top of the mountain looking after everybody’s bags and coats.
If I’m honest I prefer going somewhere hot and sunny for a holiday. I love going to Thailand, for example, and staying in one of the beautiful resorts on the coast. The people are extremely friendly and in one hotel we stayed at we got to know the chef quite well and he would take us round the market with him. And one of the waiters took us to visit his uncle who owns a coconut farm. It’s only in ways like this that you begin to get a feel for the country and its people, as these kinds of opportunities are not available for the average tourist.
I’m not a rough-it kind of person: I did enough of that when I was younger. The trouble with me is that I have a genuine problem with mosquitoes – they absolutely adore me! If I get bitten, the bites turn into mini-balloons all over my body. Once when we were travelling by jeep during the monsoon season, the rain was so heavy that we stopped in a village. A young Thai boy noticed this huge bite on my arm, which was going a funny colour, and looked as if it might be infected. He picked some leaves off a tree and made a mixture of them using some salt and a little alcohol and then rubbed the mixture into my arm. You could see the infection disappear: it was amazing; it was like letting the air out of a balloon.
I am an actress and generally, after I’ve finished a run of performances in a play, I feel exhausted, but not too tired to escape! All I want to do is to find a hotel with a fantastic view, a beach, a good book and a mosquito net. My needs are very simple, really, and I just want the opportunity to refresh myself. Sometimes I might consider a holiday in a completely different environment, like visiting a friend in a country cottage or staying in a small bed and breakfast place and walking in the surrounding hills. It’s good for my soul.
Decide if the statements are True or False
- Barbara didn’t like her first trip to the mountains.
- Barbara’s friends are just like her.
- When skiing down the slope, Barbara fell over.
- Barbara prefers mountains for her holidays.
- People in Thailand are not very friendly.
- They stopped in a village because they had heavy bags.
- She gave a balloon to a Thai boy.
- Barbara works in a theatre.
- She is usually tired after the performance.
- She wants a lot from her holidays.
Choose the correct letter a, b, c or d
1. How did Barbara feel about going away with her friends for the first time?
- very surprised
- rather afraid
- not bothered
- really terrified
2. What did she do for the first time then?
- spending New Year with friends
- being a coward;
3. How was Barbara’s confidence destroyed?
- she broke her leg
- she started to think
- her friend embarrassed her
- her friend criticized her
4. What did Barbara hurt?
- she twisted her ankle
- she broke her knee
- she broke her leg
- she twisted her knee
5. What does Barbara like most of all in her trips to Thailand?
- meeting people
- monsoon season
- travelling by jeep
6. How many Thai people does Barbara mention in her story?
7. What personal problem does Barbara mention?
- she hates mosquitoes
- she can’t stand travelling by jeep
- she prefers living rough
- she dislikes very bad weather
8. What effect did the mixture have on Barbara’s arm?
- it changed colour
- it became better
- it became infection
- it turned into a balloon
9. How does Barbara feel when a play finishes?
- completely worn out
- desperate to get away
- pleased that she is free
- very tired but satisfied
10. What does Barbara mainly want from a holiday?
- the chance for her to build up her energy
- the chance to visit somewhere fresh
- the possibility of relaxing on a beach
- the opportunity to stay with friends
Leave A Comment