There is no right answer to whether students should wear a school uniform or not. In this post you will read about some pros and cons of wearing school uniforms.
From the History of School Uniforms
The first recorded use of school uniforms was in England in 1222. Students at one school were required to wear a robe-like outfit called a ‘cappa clausa.’ However, it wasn’t until the 16th century that modern school uniforms made an appearance in recorded history.
Uniforms were noted to be first recorded in history in 1552 AD. The institution named “Christ Hospital School” in London was the first school to use a school uniform. The uniform consisted of a long blue coat and yellow, knee-high socks. The same theme is very close to the current uniform of the students attending the school today. Charity schools like Christ’s Hospital got the nickname ‘blue cloak’ schools.
Some of the Pros and Cons of Wearing School Uniforms.
- One of the many benefits of wearing school uniforms for children is that they create a sense of identity and unity among school students. When children wear a similar uniform daily, they will have a similar identity and they won’t compete over who wears expensive or fashionable clothes. Children who cannot afford to wear expensive clothes won’t feel insecure if there is a uniform.
- There is no need to decide what to wear in the morning and can save a lot of time and energy for students to get dressed.
- Uniforms create a sense of equality among children and help break class barriers.When all the students are dressed in the same clothes it is difficult to establish their economic background.
- Wearing a school uniform brings a sense of pride to a child to know that he/she studies in a well-known school. School unifrorms give students the feeling of belonging.
- It is believed that children who wear a school uniform demonstrate better academic results in their classes and focus more on education.
- Buying school uniforms for kids is more economical than buying an entire wardrobe for the season. The school uniforms are usually made from stronger and better fabric, which means they can stand repeated washing.
- Wearing school uniforms helps in preventing bullying because clothes are one of the major reasons for bullying at school.
- There is no need to make dress code policies for the students.
- Chidren who wear school uniforms have a higher sense of safety. When students wear uniforms, it is easier for the teachers to find out who is an outsider and who should not be on the school premises.
- School uniforms restrict the freedom of expression and can even threaten the individuality of a child.
- Wearing school uniforms is not important because it can’t boost sudents’ learning capabilities and skills.
- The children who are forced to wear school uniforms don’t have the right to make a choice and decide for themselves. Children are not given the opportunity to decide for themselves.
- A student may feel uncomfortable wearing a uniform and it may affect his/her concentration and mood in the school.
- Sometimes certain uniform rules can create inequalities such as girls may not be allowed to wear pants. Wearing ties may be compulsory for boys, which they may not like.
- School uniforms can be very expensive.
- School uniforms may be the reason of outside bullying. While students of a particular school who take pride in their school and their uniform may become an object of bully for the kids from other schools who don’t have a uniform.
In conclusion, it should be said that school uniforms are effective either way. They were introduced for recognition and the feeling of standing together united. School uniforms were not meant to cause any harm to students.
There’s a reason why some schools require wearing uniforms and some don’t. People will go on discussing the effectiveness of school uniforms. Nowadays schools look for solutions to such problems as attendance, discipline, bullying, student motivation, and family engagement. Can wearing a uniform help decide any of them?
What do you think of these pros and cons of wearing school uniforms? Do you agree with them? Are you for or against wearing a school uniform?