Let’s Speak about Summer Rest
Check whether you know these Summer Rest words. Use them in the sentences of your own.
go on vacation – їздити у відпустку
Summer is the time when grown-ups usually go on their vacations.
to have a rest – відпочивати
In summer many people have a rest from their jobs.
explore – досліджувати
There are people who explore far away countries.
experience – досвід, дізнатися з досвіду
Many people like to experience exciting journeys.
travel agency – туристичне агентство
Travel agencies give leaflets with their programmes about the trips.
to make a choice – робити вибір
Travel agencies help to make a good choice.
outdoor activities – види розваг на свіжому повітрі
Some people like outdoor activities and go on camping.
impression – враження
What’s your impression of the trip?
share impressions – ділитися враженнями
When the holidays are over people share their impressions with friends.
prefer – віддавати перевагу
What way of spending summer do you prefer?
display souvenirs – показувати сувеніри
People display souvenirs they have bought.
go hiking – ходити в похід
Last holidays I went hiking with my friends.
rucksack / backpack – рюкзак
We took rucksacks.
rock climbing – лазіння по скелях
Some people like rock climbing.
seaside holidays – канікули на морі (морському узбережжі)
She likes seaside holidays.
go cycling – їздити на велосипеді
He prefers country holidays where he can go cycling or go for long walks.
mountain biking – їздити в гори на велосипеді
My friends enjoy mountain biking.
go scuba diving – займатися підводним плаванням
We went scuba diving.
underwater photography – підводне фотографування
His hobby is underwater photography.
Speak about Summer Rest
- Summer is a happy time not only for schoolchildren.
- It is the time when grown-ups usually go on their vacation and have a rest from their jobs.
- People spend their summer holiday in different ways.
- Some people like outdoor activities and go on camping living in tents, others enjoy comfort in hotels.
- Some people prefer being just at a calm place watching the nature around.
- People like to explore far away countries.
- Who doesn’t like to experience exciting journeys?
- Travel agencies give leaflets with their programmes about the trips.
- There are magazines for travelers with interesting and useful information.
- We can learn about the place, its history and lifestyle of its people from the articles.
- Articles in such magazines give us the idea about the places of interest we should visit, about the prices of food and clothing and many other things.
- Everyone can make his or her own choice and enjoy the tour.
- We like to come back to our homes when the holidays are over.
- We like to meet our friends and share our impressions.
- We usually show photos, which we have taken, and display souvenirs, which we have bought.
- When summer is over, work begins.
- We believe that there will be another chance to have a wonderful summer rest next year.
Answer the questions.
- In what ways do people spend their summer vacation?
- Does everyone like outdoor activities and living in tents?
- Who helps to get useful information about where to go in summer?
- What ideas do magazines for travelers give us?
- What do people usually do when they come back home?
- What way of spending summer does your family prefer?
- What kind of holidays are you dreaming about?
- When do schoolchildren have their summer holidays?
- What is the weather like in summer?
- What can the children do when the weather is fine?
- What can the children do if the weather is rainy and nasty?
Make up the sentences of your own.
I’ll go swimming. What about you? – I think I’ll …
- go rock climbing
- go mountain biking
- go hiking
- do underwater photos
- go for a long walk
- travel to the mountains
- go scuba diving
- go cycling
- make a campfire
- go to the forest
- visit places of interest
What can you do in summer?
In summer we can …
- be outdoors all day
- go to the seaside
- go to the mountains
- spend time with friends
- go to the forest
- go to the park
- spend time at the river or lake
- stay at home and relax
- read books
- listen to music
- watch TV
- play computer games
- do pokerwork
- do needlework
- play the piano (the guitar, the violin)
- make models of planes, ships and kites
- enjoy rollerblading
- enjoy skateboarding
- draw pictures
- go fishing
- go swimming
- go boating
- play football, tennis, badminton and other sport games
- ride a bike
- ride a scooter