What is the last book you have read?
“Gone with the Wind” by Margaret Mitchell
I’ve recently read a book which has made a very deep impression on me. It is called “Gone with the Wind” and it makes really unforgettable reading. The author of the book is Margaret Mitchell. She was born in Atlanta, the USA. All her family was interested in American history and she grew up in an atmosphere of stories about the Civil War.
After graduating from college, Mitchell worked for a time for the Atlanta Journal. In 1925 (nineteen-twenty-five) she got married. In the following ten years she put on paper all the stories she had heard about the Civil War. The result was “Gone with the Wind”. When it was published it became a talking point of all America and made into a highly successful film. Everyone loved her high-spirited and beautiful character – Scarlett O’Hara.
The story is set around the time of the American Civil War, but it’s not only about history. It’s about the destiny of a young lady, about the transformation of her inner world and about love,of course. Severe events call for strong will and extraordinary nature, as well as for high spirit and loving heart.
Unfortunately, the writer never wrote a sequel to answer some burning questions she put in the novel. She died in a car crash. But her novel still bothers the mind and souls of its readers.
- make a deep impression – справити глибоке враження
- make unforgettable reading – робити читання незабутнім
- grow (grew, grown) up – рости
- atmosphere – атмосфера
- graduate from college – закінчувати коледж
- work for a time – працювати деякий час
- journal – журнал
- get married – одружуватись
- the following – наступний
- to become a talking point – стати темою розмови
- to make a book into a film – поставити фільм по книзі
- successful – успішний
- high-spirited character – енергійна героїня
- the story is set – історія відбувається
- Civil War – Громадянська Війна
- destiny – доля
- the transformation of her inner world – перетворення внутрішнього світу
- severe events – важкі події
- call for – вимагати
- strong will – сильна воля
- extraordinary nature – надзвичайний характер
- high spirit – високий дух
- loving heart – люблече серце
- unfortunately – на жаль
- a sequel – продовження
- burning questions – гострі питання
- a car crash – автокатастрофа
- bother the mind and soul – турбувати розум і душу
It was very interesting to learn about the writer Margaret Mitchell and her famous book. Thanks to your recommendations, I have a desire to read this book.
So glad to hear about your wish to read this book, Ruslana. I’m sure ‘Gone with the Wind’ will make unforgettable reading.