Reading and Writing Test 10 Year 6
For students of the sixth grade: do Reading and Writing Test 10 Year 6 to develop your reading and writing skills.
The Olympic flame is a practice continued from the ancient Olympic Games. In Greece, the sun lit a flame and this flame kept burning until the closing of the Olympic Games.
The flame first appeared in the modern Olympics at the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam. The flame itself represents a number of things, including purity and the wish for perfection.
In 1936, the chairman of the organizing committee for the 1936 Olympic Games, Carl Diem, suggested the idea of the modern Olympic Torch.
At the ancient site of Olympia, women wore ancient style robes and lit the Olympic flame with a curved mirror and the sun.
One runner passes the Olympic Torch to another runner from the ancient site of Olympia to the Olympic stadium in the hosting city. They keep the flame alight until the end of the Games. The Olympic Torch represents a link between the ancient Olympic Games and the modern Olympics.
Choose the correct title for the text.
- The Olympic Games
- Modern Olympics
- The Olympic Flame
- The Olympic Symbols
Put the sentences into the correct order.
__ a. The flame first appeared in the modern Olympics at the Olympic Games in Amsterdam.
__ b. The fire was kept burning until the closing of the Olympic Games.
__ c. Carl Diem offered what is now the modern Olympic Torch.
__ d. In Greece, the sunlight was used to light the Olympic fire.
__ e. Today, the Olympic Torch shows the connection of past and present.
Choose the correct variant to complete the sentences.
1. The text is … .
- a fairy tale
- a textbook paragraph
- a letter
- a biography
2. The people don’t keep the flame burning … .
- when the Olympic Games close
- at the ancient site of Olympia
- during each game
- when the Olympic Games start
3. Sportsmen bring the Olympic Torch to … .
- the organizing committee
- the place of competitions
- ancient Olympia
4. The modern Olympic Torch … .
- first appeared at the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam
- represents the ancient time of Olympia
- appears only at the end of the Games
- connects the old Olympic Games and the present Olympics
Write short answers to the questions.
- When did the flame first appear in the modern Olympics?
- What does the flame represent?
- What clothes are the women who light the Olympic flame wearing?
Complete the sentences with the words: ever, enough, too, yet, as . There is one extra choice you don’t need to use.
- The water is not warm _________ to swim in the river.
- This bag is _________ heavy for me to carry.
- Is Westminster Palace _________ beautiful as St Paul’s Cathedral?
- Have you _________ travelled by a big ship?
Choose the correct forms of the verbs to complete the sentences.
1. When Harry entered the stadium, the match … .
- has already started
- was already started
- had already started
- already started
2. Kayla … coffee in a small café when somebody called her.
- was drinking
- has been drinking
- has drunk
- had drunk
3. You … not break windows at school.
4. I think we … check everything again.
- has to
Write about your feelings and emotions using the plan below:
- write what makes you feel happy and pleased, and what you usually do when you are in such a mood;
- mention the situations when you experienced such feelings;
- write what can make you nervous, upset or irritated;
- describe what can change your mood for the better.