Sightseeing in Kyiv is Fabulous
Your English pen friend asks you to tell him / her about the main tourist attractions in the capital of Ukraine. Get ready to be his / her guide and tell about the most popular places for sightseeing in Kyiv.
- Kyiv was founded 15 centuries ago.
- It was the capital of ancient Kyivan Rus.
- Zoloti Vorota was the main entrance to the city.
- Zoloti Vorota is often the starting point of many tours round Kyiv.
- Sophia’s Cathedral was founded by Yaroslav the Wise in 1037.
- The cathedral was the center of learning and culture in Kyivan Rus.
- There are many beautiful mosaics and frescos in the cathedral.
- In front of the cathedral there is the Statue of Bohdan Khmelnitsky.
- Michael’s Zolotoverkhyi Monastery, named after a Kyiv’s patron saint, shines with its beautiful golden domes on the other side of the square.
- Andriyivsky Uzviz keeps its charm for the tourists.
- The street is named after Apostol Andriy, who climbed the hill here.
- One who walks up ‘the uzviz’ can see a wonderful Andrew’s Church that was built in 1754 by Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli.
- Tourists and pilgrims shouldn’t ignore the Kyivo-Pecherska Lavra with its numerous caves.
- Maidan Nezalazhnosti is a fountain-filled square and the city’s most popular meeting place.
- All the streets in the centre seem to flow into Maidan Nezalezhnosti which is on Khreshchatyk, Kyiv’s main street of 5 km long.
- On the hill of the square there is a path that leads to the House of Chimeras with its fairy animals.
- It was built at the start of the 20th century by the architect Vladyslav Horodetsky.
- There is a huge building of the Presidential Administration not far from it as well as Verkhovna Rada building, Mariyinsky Palace and the National Philharmonic.
- The Statue of Volodymyr the Great who brought Christianity to the eastern Slavs in 988 is on the hill.
- The Pyrohovo Museum of Folk Architecture is 12 km south of Kyiv.
- This ‘open-air’ museum is worth seeing.
- Kyiv has become one of the most beautiful European cities.
- Kyiv’s monuments of the past look well among modern buildings, theatres, cinemas and trading centres.
Leave A Comment