For students of the sixth grade: do Reading and Writing Test 8 Year 6 to develop your reading and writing skills.
My name is Tom Austin. I live in a small town of Durham in the north of England. This story is about the day when I went to London with my dad for my 12th birthday.
I woke up at five o’clock in the morning. When I got downstairs and said goodbye to my mum, Dad and I got into the car and drove to the train station.
On the train, we were talking about what sights we wanted to see. When we arrived at St Pancras Station, we went in search of something to eat. We found a subway café and had lunch there. Then we set off walking around London. Some of the sights we saw were Nelson’s Column, Big Ben, the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. But the main attraction of the day was a flight on the London Eye. I was really looking forward to this and it didn’t disappoint me.
At last, we got on the train home. On our way back, my dad and I were discussing what we had seen and done
during the day. We both decided that we had really enjoyed our day.
Choose the correct title for the text.
- A Thrilling Flight on London Eye
- An Exciting Journey
- Tom’s Last Birthday
- Sights of London
Put the sentences into the correct order.
__ a. They were looking forward to seeing the main attractions of London.
__ b. Tom and his dad left for the train station.
__ c. They went sightseeing.
__ d. Tom got up really early.
__ e. On their way back, they were sharing their impressions.
Choose the correct variant to complete the sentences.
1. The day when Tom travelled to London, was special for him because … .
- it was his school leaving day
- it was his birthday
- it was his dad’s birthday
- it was the day when the London Eye big wheel was opened
2. In London, Tom dreamed to … .
- see Nelson’s Column
- walk past Big Ben
- visit Westminster Abbey
- visit the London Eye
3. St Pancras stands for … .
- a station
- a café
- a museum
- a cathedral
4. The main attraction of the day was … .
- visiting Madam Tussaud’s
- walking around London
- going on the London Eye
- the sightseeing tour
Write short answers to the questions.
- When did the boy get up?
- What means of transport did Tom and his father use?
- What were the boy’s feelings at the end of the day?
Complete the sentences with the words: just, as, enough, too, ever. There is one extra choice you don’t need to use.
- This apple is ___________ sweet as honey.
- Have you ___________ tried Indian food?
- Don’t get ___________ close to the crocodile.
- I’ve ___________ got an email message from my American pen friend.
Choose the correct forms of the verbs to complete the sentences.
1. After Fred … his holiday in Italy, he started learning Italian.
- was spending
- had spent
2. I … along the street when I met my exboyfriend.
- was walking
- were walking
- had walked
3. I … make a cake by myself when I was your age.
4. … I ask you a personal question, Jessie?
Imagine that your pen friend from England is coming to Kyiv and he/she wants to know something about the city. Write a letter using the plan below:
- write where Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, is situated, how large it is;
- describe what river it stands on, what places of interest there are;
- say that you are proud of our capital;
- give your recommendations.
Leave A Comment