For students of the sixth grade: do Reading and Writing Test 7 Year 6 to develop your reading and writing skills.
Babe Didrikson Zaharias was one of the most extraordinary athletes of all time. She was a champion in basketball, track and field, and golf. She also swam, boxed, played baseball, and did many other sports. In 1950, she was
named the greatest woman athlete of the first half of the 20th century.
This story happened to Babe when she was a child. She liked to play ball very much. One day, when she was in elementary school, her mother sent her to the shops to buy meat for dinner. On the way home, Babe met some boys playing baseball. She put her bag with meat under the tree and joined the game.
An hour later, her angry mother came up, looking for the meat. Babe pointed to the place where she’d left it. A dog was happily eating up the last of the meat! The mother was very angry — she didn’t know yet that her daughter was a future champion!
Choose the correct title for the text.
- A Future Champion
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias’ Career
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias’ Life Story
- The Angry Mother
Put the sentences into the correct order.
__ a) Babe was sent to buy some meat for dinner.
__ b) Babe started playing baseball with the boys.
__ c) The mother came up to find the meat to be eaten by a dog.
__ d) She put her bag with meat under a tree.
__ e) She was going home when Babe met some boys playing baseball.
Choose the correct variant to complete the sentences.
1. This text is … .
- a letter
- a short story
- a fairy tale
- a novel
2. The text is about … .
- an extraordinary athletes’ child
- an episode from the life of an Olympic champion
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias’ life story
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias’ career
3. Babe Didrikson Zaharias was not a champion in … .
- track and field
4. Babe’s mother was angry because … .
- Babe refused to go to the shops
- Babe didn’t buy meat
- Babe gave the meat to the dog
- Babe joined the game instead of carrying the meat home
Write short answers to the questions.
- When did Babe gain success?
- What school did she go to in the time when the story happened?
- Where did Babe put her bag with meat?
Complete the sentences with the words: too, yet, just, enough, so. There is one extra choice you don’t need to use.
- They haven’ t come back from Japan _________.
- She isn’t tall _________ to reach the top of the shelf.
- It’s _________ dark here for me to read.
- John is not _________ talented as his father.
Choose the correct forms of the verbs to complete the sentences.
1. I … for my sister when it started to rain.
- am waiting
- was waiting
- be waiting
- had waited
2. By the time the course finished, I … all the irregular verbs.
- will learn
- have learned
- had learned
3. You … have a licence to drive a car.
4. During our last journey, I … see the mountains through the train window.
Imagine that your pen friend from England has asked you to write about your school. Write a letter using the plan below:
- give general information about your school;
- write about your school subjects and activities;
- describe the subjects you are good at;
- subjects you like/don’t like;
- ask your friend to write back about his/her school.