Read and speak about Lviv beautiful Ukrainian city
Lviv is the political, economic, industrial and cultural center in the western part of Ukraine. It is very beautiful with its old buildings, monuments and streets.
Lviv has a rich and interesting history. It was founded in the 12th century but people lived in this place eight thousand years ago.
The famous Halicia-Volynian Prince Danylo founded Lviv and named the town in honour (на честь) of his son Lev.
In 1356 the town received the Magdeburgian Law. Lviv became like a small country and it was good for people.
At the beginning of the 15th century there was a running-water system (водогін) in Lviv. The pipes (труби) were under the ground in secret places. The place of the running-water system was a great secret because enemies (вороги) could break it.
In Ukraine the first books were printed (надруковано) in the first printing-house in Lviv. It was in 1574. Then many other books were printed there. This printing-house is now a museum. You can see a nice monument to the first printer Ivan Fedorov near it.
Lviv has good medical traditions. In 1445 the writers wrote about Vasyl Russyn who was well-known because he made very good medicines.
Now in Lviv there is a very interesting museum – an old pharmacy (аптека). There you can see old bottles with medicines, old pictures and many other interesting things. If you want you may buy something.
The center of Lviv is very beautiful. There you can see nice old houses, monuments, churches and narrow (вузьки) streets. The old town center is one of the best in Europe.
Lviv is rich in musical and artistic traditions. There are theatres, museums, an art gallery, a conservatoire and art schools there.
Lviv Opera House is very good. The first school theatre in Ukraine was organized in Lviv in the 17th century.
Lviv University is old. It was founded in 1661. There are many universities and colleges in Lviv.
Lviv is one of the most beautiful cities of our country. Go there and you will see it with your own eyes!
Answer the questions
- What kind of center is Lviv?
- Has it a rich history?
- When was it founded?
- Who founded Lviv?
- Why was the town called with this name?
- Had Lviv the Magdeburgian Law?
- What can you say about the old running-water system in Lviv?
- Where and when were the first Ukrainian books printed?
- What is now in the first printing-house?
- Who was the first printer in Ukraine?
- What do you know about medical traditions in Lviv?
- What can you say about the pharmacy museum?
- What does the center of the town look like?
- Where and when was the first Ukrainian school theatre organized?
- Can we call Lviv the town of students? Why?