For students of the sixth grade: do Reading and Writing Test 4 Year 6 to develop your reading and writing skills.
Two men were travelling together through a wood, when a bear suddenly met them on their way. One of them, who happened to be in front, climbed quickly up a tree and hid himself in the branches. The other, seeing no help for him and scared that he must be attacked, fell flat on the ground, with his face in the dust. And when the bear came up and started smelling him all over, the man held his breath as if he was dead.
The bear soon left him, for as we know, this animal will not touch a dead body. When it was quite gone, the other traveler got down from the tree, and as a joke asked his friend what the bear had whispered in his ear. “He gave me this advice”, his companion replied. “Never travel with a friend who leaves you alone with danger”.
The moral of the story is “misfortune tests the sincerity of friends“.
Choose the correct title for the text.
- Unlucky Hunting
- A Devoted Friend
- The Bear and the Two Travelers
- Two Real Friends and the Bear
Put the sentences into the correct order.
___a) The bear went away.
___b) The travelers met a bear.
___c) The other one pretended to be dead..
___d) The first traveler asked his friend what the bear had told him..
___e) One of them climbed up a tree.
Choose the correct variant to complete the sentences.
1. From the text we know … .
- where the men were travelling to
- what the weather was like
- what animal they met
- that a bear is not a dangerous animal.
2. The travelers in the story … .
- proved to be real friends
- pretended to be dead
- climbed quickly up a tree
- were both afraid of bears
3. The bear … .
- attacked the man
- examined the man all over
- fell flat on the ground
- played dead
4. The best saying for the story is: … .
- The way to your friend is never too long.
- Problems test if the friends are real.
- If you want to have a friend – be one.
- A man is known by the company he keeps.
Write short answers to questions.
- Where did the story happen?
- Who did the travelers meet suddenly on their way?
- Where did one of the travelers hide?
Complete the sentences with the words: as enough, too, only, so. There is one extra choice you don’t need to use.
- Belgium isn’t ______________ large as France.
- They had _______________ cash only for a one-way ticket.
- This dress is _______________ expensive for me to buy.
- I’m not the _______________ child, I have two brothers.
Choose the correct forms of the verbs to complete the sentences.
1. He went for a walk only after he … his homework.
- has finished
- was finished
- had finished
2. Where … at 11 p.m. last night?
- did you go
- you went
- are you going
- were you going
3. Daddy, … I go out tonight, please?
4. You may go to the disco, but you … be too late.
Your teacher has asked you to write a composition describing the person who has influenced your life the most. Use the plan below:
- introduce the person (his/her name; time and place you met);
- tell your classmates about his/her appearance;
- describe the person’s character and interests;
- share your feelings about this person.