Check your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. Level B2
Vocabulary and Grammar Placement Test Level B2 consists of 50 items testing grammar and vocabulary. Recommended for school graduates.
1.I’m 18 and my brother is 20, so he’s …….. me.
a. the oldest of
b. older than
c. as old as
2. Carl’s very …….. . He’s never late, and he never forgets to do things.
3. We stayed in a lovely villa …….. the sea.
a. it overlooks
4. Not until the 1980s …….. for the average person to own a computer.
a. it was possible
b. was it possible
c. was possible
5. Jan …….. her arm on a hot iron.
6. Tomorrow’s a holiday, so we …….. go to work.
a. have to
c. don’t have to
7. I usually …….. swimming at least once a week.
8. My friend Siena …….. to Germany last year.
b. has gone
c. has been
9. This is …….. area, with a lot of factories and warehouses.
a. an agricultural
b. an industrial
c. a residential
10. If I …….. well in my exams, I …….. to university.
a. will do; will go
b. will do; go
c. do; will go
11. She was so upset that she burst …….. tears.
12. Where did you go …….. holiday last year?
13. Ocean currents …….. play an important part in regulating global climate.
a. are known to
b. thought to
c. are believed that they
14. My cousin …….. getting a job in Bahrain.
a . like
b. is planning
c. is thinking of
15. I can’t …….. your hair, because I haven’t got any scissors.
16. I wish I …….. have an exam tomorrow!
17. The government plans to …….. taxes on sales of luxury items.
c. go up
18. When I first moved to Hong Kong, life in a different country was very strange, but now I’m used …….. here.
b. to live
c. to living
19. There …….. milk in the fridge.
a. is some
b. are some
c. is a
20. Criminals are people who are guilty of …….. the law.
21. Why on earth isn’t Josh here yet? …….. for him for over an hour!
a. I’m waiting
b. I’ve been waiting
c. I’ve waited
22 “It’s pouring down, and it’s freezing.” What are the weather conditions?
a. high winds and snow
b. heavy rain and cold temperatures
c. thick cloud but quite warm
23 …….. feeling OK? You don’t look very well.
a. Do you
b. You are
c. Are you
24. Daniel’s hair is getting far too long; he should …….. soon.
a. cut it
b. have cut it
c. have it cut
25 Mandy works for a computer software company. She got …….. recently, and so now she’s an area manager.
a. made redundant
c. a raise
26. I can’t hear you – it’s …….. noisy in here.
b. too much
c. too many
27. Jamal has just sent me …….. to arrange plans for this weekend.
a. a blog
b. an email
c. a website
28. I promise I’ll call you as soon as I …….. .
a. I arrive
b. I arrived
c. I’ll arrive
29. Photographers and designers need to be very …….. .
30. The global financial crisis, …….. is forcing lots of small businesses to close, does not look set to end soon.
31. There …….. a terrible accident if the pilot hadn’t reacted so quickly.
a. had been
c. would have been
32. “Are you ready to order?” “Not yet – I’m still looking at the …….. .”
33. “My job is never boring.” The speaker’s job is always …….. .
34. I’ve been working here …….. about the last two years.
35 “It leaves from Platform 2 at 4.15.” The speaker is talking about …….. .
a. an airline flight
b. a train
c. a taxi
36. I went to a lovely …….. last Saturday. The bride was my best friend when we were at school.
37. “I’ve got a headache.” “Maybe you …….. to take an aspirin.”
38 The patient had an …….. to insert metal pins in his broken leg.
39 She won a seat in parliament at the last…….. .
a. general election
b. opinion poll
40. I’m surprised you didn’t get upset. If someone said that to me, …….. really angry.
b. I was
c. I’d be
41. This used to be …….. part of the city, but since the old buildings were renovated it’s become a very fashionable area.
a. an affluent
b. a run-down
c. a trendy
42. Cassie went to bed early because she was …….. .
43. In the 1960s, computers were …….. expensive that ordinary people couldn’t afford them.
44. Do you want …….. the match tonight?
c. to watch
45. Researchers claim the new discovery is a major …….. in the fight against malaria.
46. The Maths problem was really difficult and I just couldn’t …….. the answer.
a. check in
b. set off
c. work out
47. When I was a child, I never …….. about the future.
a. have worried
b. used to worry
c. was worrying
48. A local politician has …….. charges of corruption made by the opposition party.
49. …….. worries me about society today is how completely we have come to depend on technology.
50. Cats and dogs are usually kept as …….. .
a. farm animals