Check Your Knowledge of Conditionals
Do this Grammar Test Conditionals to check your knowledge of conditional sentences of three types.
Exam in Mind Level B1
Conditionals of Three Types
Subjunctive II, Wish Sentences
Wish Sentences: Verb Forms Following Wish
Grammar Test Conditionals
Task 1. Choose the correct variant to complete the sentence.
1.If the Titanic had not hit an iceberg, she … on her first voyage.
a. would not sink b. would not have sunk c. did not sink.
2. If the Spanish government … Columbus with ships, he would not have discovered a new continent.
a. did not equip b. had not equipped c. were not equipping
3. If he didn’t like people, he … a doctor.
a. would have become b. wouldn’t become c. wouldn’t have become
4. If I were you, I … a laptop.
a. would buy b. would have bought c. will have bought
5. If I were you, I … England years ago.
a. would visit b. will be visiting c. would have visited
6. I wish you … interrupting me.
a. to stop b. would stop c. have stopped
Task 2. Fill in the suitable words: A. will B. won’t C. would D. wouldn’t
- What _____________ you do if you won lots of money?
- If you make so much noise, I _____________ be able to sleep.
- They _____________ have missed the last bus if they had hurried.
- If my train is late, I _____________ take a taxi.
- If Chris didn’t fall in love with Jane, he _____________ give her flowers.
- I _____________ finish the work if you don’t help me.
- I _____________ give you $5 if you do me a favour.
Task 3. Fill in the suitable words: A. would B. have C. had
- If she ________ not driven so fast, she ________ not ________ crashed her car.
- I wish I ________ my clothes yesterday.
- If they ________ locked up the chickens at night, the fox ________ not ________eaten them and the chickens ________ be alive now.
- We________ ________ been here earlier if the train ________ been in time.
- ________ we known your address, we ________ ________ written a letter to you.
- I wish I ________ an elephant, I could travel through the jungle.
- If it ________ not been for your help, we ________ ________ got into real trouble.
Task 4. Turn these sentences a) into the Second Conditional, b) into the Third Conditional.
- If you do that, you will be all right.
- If the cat is hungry, I will give it some food.
- If it rains, the garden party will be spoiled.
- If you leave now, you will catch the train.
- Fred will pass his examination if he works hard.
- I will give him the money if I see him.
- If you drink that, it will kill you.
Task 5 Speak on the following situations using conditionals of three types.
1. What will you do if …
- you lose your house key?
- you fall down in the street?
- you are stuck in a traffic jam?
- you see your friend cheating in a test?
- you are late for school/work?
- you win a lottery?
- you don’t enter the university?
- your parents give you some money?
- you go to the restaurant next weekend?
2. What would you do if …
- your dog ate your homework?
- your parents didn’t like your boyfriend/girlfriend?
- you won a lottery?
- you saw a homeless person stealing something in the supermarket?
- an alien landed next to your house?
- you met Jennifer Aniston at the cafe?
3. What would be different if you were American / African / Chinese?
4. I watched TV till midnight two days ago, so I was sleepy next morning. If I …
5. I went to bed late last night, so I got starving. If I …
6. I didn’t study hard last month, so I failed the exam yesterday. If I …
7. I didn’t go to London five days ago, so I didn’t take nice photos. If I …
8. I didn’t have my breakfast at home yesterday, so I was hungry at school / at work. If I …
9. I didn’t see Sam last week, so I didn’t invite him to the party. If I …
10. My cousin forgot her passport at home yesterday, so she didn’t fly to Egypt. If she …
11. My brother didn’t move to London last year, so he was upset. If he …
12. You insulted your boss at the office last week, so he fired you yesterday. If you …