Cinema Is an Important Art Form
Cinema Important Art Form connects people from different cultures, generations, and walks of life. It has the power to inspire, entertain, educate, and provoke thought, making it a significant medium for storytelling and expression.
Cinema may refer to
- cinematography, the science or art of motion-picture photography
- film or movie, a series of still images that create the illusion of a moving image
- film industry, the technological and commercial institutions of filmmaking
- filmmaking, the process of making a film
- a building (movie theater) in which films are shown
More than a century ago the Lumiere brothers made their first three-minute films which were demonstrated to the public on the 28th of December, 1895.
Since then a new era has begun – the era of cinematography. It rapidly spread over the world and very soon turned into one of the most popular arts and entertainments. The 20th century may rightfully be called the century of cinematography.
Cinema plays an important role in the life of any society. The cinema has become the part of the modern way of life. There is no denying the fact that the cinema is an excellent vehicle of culture. Its possibilities are unlimited.
For a long time there have been disputes whether the cinema is an art or just an entertainment. Nowadays cinema is considered one of the main contemporary arts.
At the time when films were silent and black-and-white the world was crazy about Charlie. He was created and performed by the famous English actor and film director Charles Spenser Chaplin. His Charlie, small and clumsy yet kind-hearted, generous and brave, has attracted the hearts of simple people in different countries. Sometimes they would stand in long queues to see a film with their favourite actor. Later sound and colour were introduced into films.
Lots of people find going to the cinema one of the best ways of spending their leisure time. It is good to watch the new production of a film on a wide screen because the events seem to be more realistic.
There are a lot of different kinds of films: feature films, concert films, theatrical films, popular science films, travelogues, mystery films, documentary films, thrillers, horror films, animated cartoons. Besides, films may be colour or black and white, full-length or short, sound or silent, dubbed in mother tongue, 3D (three-dimensional) or wide-screen.
Educational films are shown mainly for schoolchildren and students. And there is no doubt they are of great educational value.
In Great Britain and the USA the cinemas (“movies” as they often call them) sell more than one billion tickets a year. Movies are also shown on television and can be rented or purchased as a videotape recording. Although people once feared that that television would ruin the movie industry, movie popularity has soared in recent years. Attending movies is a relatively inexpensive leisure time activity that is why it is very popular in both countries.
Modern films are different from the films people used to watch at the beginning of the 20th century. The computers changed the world of cinema. Special effects, animation technique are used.
Music is an important part of a film.
Not so long ago people went to the cinemas frequently but now we prefer to stay at home and watch video films and TV.
Maybe cinemas are no longer as popular as they used to be but films will always be one of the best entertainments for people all over the world.
Cinema Important Art Form
- Films are produced by recording actual people and objects with cameras.
- Producers also use animation techniques and special effects.
- They comprise a series of individual frames, but when these images are shown rapidly in succession, the illusion of motion is given to the viewer.
- Film is considered by many people to be an important art form.
- Films entertain, educate, enlighten and inspire the audience.
- Any film can become a worldwide attraction, especially with the addition of dubbing or subtitles that translate the dialogue.
- Films are also artifacts created by specific cultures, which reflect those cultures, and, in turn, affect them.
educate – давати освіту, виховувати
enlighten – просвітити, інформувати
inspire – надихати
addition – доповнення
dubbing – дубляж
subtitles – субтитри
reflect – відображати
affect – впливати
Answer the questions
- How are films produced?
- What do producers use?
- How is the illusion of motion given to the viewer?
- What is film considered to be?
- How do films influence the audience?
- Can any film become a worldwide attraction?
- Do films reflect and affect cultures?