Formal Letter: Letter of Application
- Dear Sir or Madam,
- Dear Ms / Mr Scott,
- I’m writing in response to …
- I’m writing in reply to …
- I’m writing with regard to …
- I’m writing in connection with …
Expressing Interest in the Job
- I would like to express my interest in …
- I found the (advertised) post / position / job offer extremely interesting because …
- The (advertised) post / position / job fits my expectations of a perfect job / career for a young person / student.
Explaining Why You Are Interested in the Job
- I would like to apply for this job because …
- My reason for applying for this job is that … (I am very hard-working / I like working with children)
- I have always been interested in … / enthusiastic about …
Describing Your Qualifications and Professional Experience
- As for my experience …
- As far as my qualifications are concerned …
- My professional experience includes …
- I worked for … as …
Making Final Remarks
- I would be happy to come to an interview at your earliest convenience.
- I would be happy to attend an interview at any time that is convenient to you.
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- if the letter begins Dear Sir or Madam: Yours faithfully,
- if the letter begins Dear Ms / Mr Robinson: Yours sincerely,
Sample Exam Task
You saw this advertisement in a newspaper:
A fashionable modern hotel in the city centre is looking for HOTEL RECEPTIONIST
We offer a good salary, health insurance and flexible working hours. If interested, send an application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include details of your former employment, give the names of two referees, explain why you would like to get the job and why you are a suitable candidate.
► Address the recipient in a formal manner.Write an application letter, including all the necessary details.
► Do not use abbreviations, keep the language suitably formal.
► In the first paragraph we usually state the aim of the letter.
► Devote one paragraph to one topic or one piece of information.
► Finish the letter with an appropriate closing phrase.
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing in response to your job offer concerning the post of a hotel receptionist which I found in the latest issue of Home News.
I believe this position fits my expectations of a perfect job.
As far as my qualifications are concerned, I have been working for about a year as a senior receptionist at the Eagle Hotel in Charring Cross Road, where I have gained a lot of valuable professional experience. In addition to this, I consider myself hard-working and career-orientated.
I know very well from my experience that the post of a hotel receptionist requires both of these features.
I am ready to attend an interview at your earliest convenience. I am enclosing the names of two referees from the Eagle Hotel, whom you can contact for further information.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Exercise 1. Read the exam task below and do preparation exercises a – f.
You are going to spend next summer in the USA and you are looking for a summer job. You have seen this advertisement on the Internet:
A popular seaside resort is looking for SUMMER CAMP INSTRUCTORS
International students are welcome!
Brilliant way to have a great summer and earn some money at the same time!
If interested, send your letter of application to Gwen Smith, email@example.com
Include details of the position you are applying for, describe your professional experience,
say why you would like to get the job and why you think you are a suitable candidate,
describe your level of English and your experience in using it in practical situations.
Write an application letter including all the necessary details.
- Underline the six items of information that the instructions ask for. The first has been done for you as an example.
- Read a candidate’s response to the task. Which three pieces of information are not included? What else is wrong with the letter?
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to apply for the job of instructor at your summer camp.
Last summer I worked as an instructor in Hungary and the children liked me.
I can do many sports. I speak English quite well, I think I will be able to communicate with the children at your camp.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Which three of the sentences below describe the candidate’s experience using English in practical situations?
- I have no problems speaking English.
- I have used English a lot when travelling and I can communicate with people of different nationalities.
- I think I will be able to communicate with the children at your camp.
- I often show foreign visitors around my town.
- When I went on a school exchange to Britain two years ago, I had to speak English all the time.
Match the jobs (1 – 6) to the candidates’ strengths (a – f).
- au pair
- instructor at summer camp
- fruit picker
- shop assistant in a supermarket
- I can work long hours and shifts.
- I am hard-working and very tidy.
- As well as playing tennis and football, I am a strong swimmer.
- I am strong, fit and enjoy working outdoors.
- I am very patient and I like working with children.
- I can speak English, Spanish and Russian.
Here are different ways in which you can join two strengths in a sentence.
- I am strong and fit and I also enjoy working outdoors.
- I am strong and fit and I enjoy working outdoors as well.
- As well as being strong and fit, I enjoy working outdoors.
Now rewrite this sentence in the same three ways.
I am very patient and I like working with children.
Put this jumbled sentence in order.
The Guardian / apply for / the position of / like / would / I / in / on / to / waiter / May 28 / advertised
Exercise 2. Write an improved version of the candidate’s letter.
Exercise 3. Read the exam task below and write an application letter.
You are studying in London and would like to take a part time job. You have seen this advertisement in the London News:
Are you a music junkie? We’ve got work for you!
If you like music, come and work in one of our music stores!
If interested, send your letter of application to Patrick Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org
Include details of your professional experience, say you would like to get a job, why you think you are a suitable candidate and what kind of music you are into.