What are the positive and negative impacts of playing video games and what can be done to minimize the bad effects?
Access to computers has increased significantly over recent decades, and the number of children playing games on computers has increased too.
- One of the most important and scientifically proven benefits of playing video games is associated with the improved ability of problem solving and logical skills. Adventure games, puzzles, riddles, and similar types of games trigger the brain to think unusually and come up with out-of-the-box ideas. Playing computer games develops children’s cognitive skills. Many popular games require abstract and high level thinking skills in order to win, skills that may not be taught at school. For example, children need to follow instructions, solve complex problems and use logic in many of the games that are currently popular.
- Another benefit is enhanced levels of hand-eye coordination. Games that are packed with action help in improving concentration in children.
- Video games nowadays are not only about playtime, but are doing well in the field of education as well. How would you feel about learning mathematics if you realize that you are not studying but playing with numbers? It has been surveyed that kids learn more and learn quickly if they are taught with the help of video games.
- Reportedly, these games help in the treatment of kids with attention deficit disorders.
- Creativity makes life beautiful, and one of the fun ways to boost this quality, not only in kids but also in adults, is getting into video games.
- Nowadays, virtual pet games are gaining popularity. They are designed to help to know how to raise a pet, thereby instilling a sense of responsibility.
- The greatest drawback is the risk of addiction. While these games do increase cognitive powers, they tend to make children neglect their studies, and keep them from eating properly and getting enough exercise.
- Certain studies have shown that most violence-packed games tend to induce violent behavior in kids, as they somehow become blind to the difference between real life and games on TV or computer.
- The addiction to games becomes so intense that people start neglecting the importance of social life. They begin to isolate themselves from the company of other people.
- Gaming is a sedentary activity and so can lead to obesity or other health problems.
How to minimize the bad effects?
In order to minimize these negative impacts, parents need to take certain steps.
Firstly, some video games are rated according their content, so parents must check this and ensure their children are not allowed to have access to games that are unsuitable.
Parents can also set limits on the length of time games are played.
Finally, parents should also take an active interest in the games their children are playing so they can find out how they feel about what they are observing.
To sum up, there are benefits of video games, but there are disadvantages too. However, if parents take adequate precautions, the severity of these negative impacts can be avoided.