Kutya is the main dish of Ukrainian Christmas dinner.
There are many recipes of kutya. You will find some unusual recipes of kutya, which are popular in different regions of Ukraine.
The classic recipe is kutya with wheat, poppy seeds, honey and nuts. However, it is often made from barley, rice, and millet.
- 2 cups cleaned wheat berries
- 3 -4 quarts water
- 1 cup cleaned poppy seed
- 2⁄3cup sugar
- 1⁄2cup hot water
- 1⁄2cup chopped walnuts
- Wash wheat in cold water and soak overnight in the 3 to 4 quarts of water.
- The next day, bring the water to a boil then simmer for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- The wheat is ready when the kernels burst open and the fluid is thick and creamy.
- Chop the poppy seed in a food processor (or coffee grinder) (or you can buy ground poppy seeds in some deli’s) and set aside.
- Mix honey, sugar and hot water.
- Mix the honey mixture, poppy seeds, and chopped nuts and wheat.
- More honey can be added to taste.
- Keep in refrigerator.