Christmas in Ukraine
Speak about Christmas in Ukraine
- My favourite holiday is Christmas.
- It is a beloved family holiday in Ukraine and in our family.
- Christmas is celebrated on the 7th of January.
- This holiday is very special.
- The most interesting part of Ukrainian Christmas is Christmas Eve (Sviat Vechir).
- Sviata Vecheria, or Holy Supper, is the main Christmas tradition in Ukrainian homes.
- All the members of our family should be at home.
- Sviata Vecheria begins when the first star appears in the sky.
- People usually lay the table with twelve dishes and kutia.
- People cook beans, boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, pyrohy, varenyky, holubtsi, stewed fruit, cabbage soup, millet porridge.
- Kutia is a dish of wheat, honey, raisins, nuts and poppy seeds.
- At the end of Sviata Vecheria people sing koliadkas, Ukrainian Christmas carols.