Read the text “From the History of Tennis” and do the exercises.
Tennis is a very old game; it was played in France in the 14th century. The French called it a game played with the palm of the hand. The players hit the ball over the net without rackets. Lois XII of France liked it so much that he built 40 tennis courts in his hometown, Orleans.
Another royal tennis lover was Henry VIII of England. A version of tennis that is similar to the modern sport was introduced in 1873. Rules were invented for playing “lawn tennis” on grass courts. People started to invent rubber balls and new types of rackets. However, tennis at that time was very different from today’s game. Men played it in their best suits while women wore long dresses and smart shoes.
Tennis became one of England’s most popular outdoor sports. The modern game of tennis originated in Birmingham, England, in the late 19th century as lawn tennis. In 1877, the first major tennis tournament was held in Wimbledon, a suburb of London. This competition became the unofficial world championship for men’s and women’s singles and doubles matches. It is still held every year in June and July.
Decide if these statements are true or false. Correct the false statements.
- Tennis is a new game.
- It was first played in France.
- First the players hit the ball with rackets.
- Louis XII of France didn’t like the game.
- Louis XII of France built fourteen tennis courts.
- Men played tennis in their best suits and women wore long dresses and smart shoes.
- Tennis became one of England’s most popular outdoor sports.
- The first major tennis tournament was held in London.
Complete the sentences with the correct variant.
1. The French called it a game played ________________.
A. with the palm of the hand
B. the ball
C. the rackets
2. Henry VIII was ________________.
A. British Prime Minister
B. a famous writer
C. the king of England
3.“Lawn tennis” was played ________________.
A. on sports grounds
B. on grass courts
4. Women played tennis ________________.
A. in sports suits
B. in short dresses
C. in long dresses
5. The first tennis tournament was in ________________.
Finish the sentences.
- The French called tennis a game played with _____________________________________________.
- Another royal tennis lover was ______________________________________________________.
- Rules were invented for playing _____________________________________________________.
- People started to invent rubber balls __________________________________________________.