You’ll need these phrases at a restaurant and when cooking meals at home.
Today we are having a dinner of four courses.
Where can I get a quick snack?
Where can I get an inexpensive meal?
Where can I get a drink of water?
I am not ready to order yet.
I would like beefsteak.
I would like my steak well done.
Would you like some ice-cream?
I follow a diet.
I am on a diet.
Let’s look through the menu card.
What do you say to a bit of this pie?
Your broth has grown cold.
Do you put sugar into your porridge?
Will you pass the pepper-box, please?
This pudding looks so appetizing.
It’s the most delicious salad I’ve ever eaten.
I am hungry as a hunter. / I am hungry as a bear.
I am thirsty.
Do you care for fish?
May I help you to another cake?
Help yourself to some more pie.
I’d like to have another helping of porridge.
Pass me the brown bread, please.
I’ll peel the potatoes.
I am not a big eater.
I have eaten well.
It’s just to my taste.
The soup is uneatable.
Read and learn by heart the dialogues. Make your own ones.
– Why, if it isn’t Bob! Never expected to see you at this cafe. This is a small world!
– Hi, Mike! How is life?
– No complaints, thanks. How are things with you?
– Nothing to boast of. Thank you.
– Are you alone?
– Yes, I am. I’ll be glad if you join me. Do sit down here.
– Well, Bob, it’s nearly two months since we met last. Been away?
– Yes, I have just returned from Japan.
– Was your trip successful?
– Yes, it was. We’ve signed two profitable contracts.
– Thanks a lot. I was about to order dinner when you came. What are their specialties?
– As a matter of fact I dine here very often. So I know their specialties. Let me do the ordering.
– I don’t mind.
– I suggest shrimp cocktail, tossed green salad, steaks with plenty onions and French fried potatoes and then coffee and fruit to follow and to finish with.
– No objections on my part, but make sure that my steak is well done.
– Waiter, take our order, please.
– Helen, let’s sit here, do you mind?
– Yes, I do. I don’t like to sit near the band. It will be very noisy. I see a very nice table near the window.
– O.K. Let’s occupy that table. We shall see everybody from that place.
– Give me the menu, please.
– Here it is.
– Thanks. I am very hungry, are you?
– Same here. What shall we order?
– I suggest fried fish and French fries, cucumber and tomato salad, black coffee and cake.
– I don’t like fish, I prefer hamburgers. That is the specialty of the house.
– Tastes differ. I always prefer fish to meat.
– The waiter is coming to our table.
– Will you do the ordering?
– As you say.