Read and speak about a very popular autumn festival celebrated in the UK on November 5th. You’ll know why it is called Bofire Night and Guy Fawkes Night.
Speak about Bonfire Night in Great Britain
- In the UK, Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes Night is celebrated on November 5th.
- It is a very popular festival in Britain.
- It’s not a public holiday.
- All schools and public organizations are open as usual.
- It’s a special day in honour of a historic event.
- It’s the anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot, an attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament led by a man called Guy Fawkes.
- All over Britain there are fireworks and bonfires with models of Guy Fawkes, which are burned on the fire.
- The Guy is made of old clothes.
- Some people have a small bonfire in their garden on November 5th.
- In towns and cities there are big bonfires and fireworks.
- The biggest fireworks display is the Edenbridge Display in Kent.
- Edenbridge also has the biggest Guy.
- A 9-metre ‘celebrity’ model is burned there every year.
- It’s normally quite cold in November in Britain, so on Bonfire Night people wear hats, scarves and gloves to spend the evening outside.
- They need some warm food too.
- Children’s favorite part during Gay Fawkes Night is the tasty food sold in streets.
- Traditional Bonfire Night food is hot baked potatoes.
- The potatoes are cooked on the bonfire and filled with butter and cheese.
- There are also toffee apples (apples on a stick, covered in sweet toffee).
- In the north of England they eat a special type of cake called parkin.
- Cooking marshmallows on the bonfire is also popular. Yum!
- In Britain only adults can buy fireworks but in the past they were sold to children too.
- During the days before Bonfire Night, children used to take their home-made Guys onto the streets and ask for ‘a penny for the Guy’ to collect money to buy fireworks.
- Now you have to be over 18 to buy fireworks, and safety on Bonfire Night is an important issue.
- In some regions people keep the tradition of dressing up into spooky thematic outfits.
- However, not everyone favors this legendary holiday.
- There were many cases of injuries, connected with fireworks.
- That’s why many people are against loud celebration.
The 5th of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
We see no reason why
Should ever be forgot.