Learn to speak about different kinds of shops.
Do you like shopping?
What kinds of shops do you like and why?
What can you buy at the butcher’s?
Shops and Shopping
- Shops are very important in our life.
- We do our shopping almost every day.
- People who sell things are shop-assistants.
- People who buy things are customers.
- There are different kinds of shops.
- You can do the shopping in the supermarkets, department stores, malls, the baker’s, the grocer’s, the greengrocer’s, the butcher’s, the fishmonger’s, the dairy, the newsagent’s, the confectionary and others.
- At the baker’s you can buy bread, buns, rolls, cakes and pies.
- We buy tea, sugar, coffee, butter, cheese, tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned fish, jam and other food at the grocer’s shop.
- At the butcher’s they sell meat, chickens and sausages.
- We buy fruit and vegetables at the greengrocer’s.
- We buy fish at the fishmonger’s.
- We buy sweets, candies, chocolate at the confectionary.
- A supermarket has different departments or sections.
- We buy dairy products at the dairy section of a supermarket.
- Department stores are large stores where you can buy almost all you want.
- There are shops which sell different goods: clothes, footwear, toys, furniture, pets, souvenirs, sport goods and others.
- At the chemist’s you can buy medicines, toothpaste, shampoo and bars of soap.
- At the newsagents’ they sell newspapers, magazines, copybooks, pens, stickers, calendars.
- In Ukraine people use hryvnias (UAH) and kopiykas (kop).
- In Great Britain people use pounds (£) and pence (p).
- In the USA people use dollars ($) and cents (c).
shop–assistant – продавець
mall – великий торговельний центр
the grocer’s (grocery) – бакалія
the greengrocer’s – овочевий
the fishmonger’s – рибний
the dairy – молочний
the confectionary – кондитерський
tinned – консервований
footwear – взуття