|not anybody, not anyone
nobody, no one
Exercise 1. Rewrite the sentences using the words in brackets.
Example: There isn’t anything in the glass. (nothing) – There is nothing in the glass.
- She has met nobody today. (not anybody)
- I don’t see your hat anywhere. (nowhere)
- He bought nothing in the shop. (not anything)
- Mary isn’t speaking to anybody at the moment. (nobody)
- Harry works nowhere. (not anywhere)
Exercise 2. Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
something nothing somebody nobody anywhere somewhere
- I want to go ________________ on holiday. Will you join me?
- ________________ phoned you in the morning.
- Does your daughter want ________________ special for her birthday? – Well, she wants ________________ beautiful for her room.
- Tony has already finished his work and now he has ________________ to do.
- I can’t find my camera ________________.
- Will your sister go to the party tonight? – Oh, she has to help our mother, so she will go ________________.
- It’s too dark outdoors. I see ________________ near the house.
Exercise 3. Circle the correct word.
- Do you know somebody / anybody in this city? – I’m afraid, I know anybody / nobody here.
- I’ve got something / anything tasty for you. – Is it something / anything sweet?
- Can you see my keys somewhere / anywhere? I’ve put them somewhere / anywhere and can’t find them anywhere / nowhere.
- Are there any oranges on the plate? – No, there is anything / nothing on the plate.
- I must ask somebody / anybody for help.
- There are too many people in the hotel this summer and he has somewhere / nowhere to live.