Have practice and speak about winter, an amazingly beautiful season.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
- Winter is the coldest season of the year.
- Winter months are December, January and February.
- In winter the days are the shortest and the nights are the longest.
- The sun sets very early and rises very late, it’s still dark in the morning when you get up.
- December 22 is the day of winter solstice. The night on this day is the longest and the day is the shortest.
- There are lots of cloudy days in winter.
- The sun doesn’t warm on sunny days.
- The weather gets frosty.
- The rivers and lakes are frozen over and you can see a lot of fishermen on the ice.
- It often snows and the ground is covered with a white sheet.
- The first snowfall is the most beautiful.
- Falling snow is an awesome sight. Large snowflakes dancing in the air look really amazing.
- It is pleasant to walk when it’s not very cold and it snows.
- The forests and parks look like a snowy fairyland especially when the trees and bushes are covered with hoarfrost.
- Pines and fir trees put on their caps.
- Sometimes it snows heavily.
- Winter is the time of snowstorms and blizzards.
- The weather often changes from wet to frosty which causes ice-slick.
- Sleet and slush are also very unpleasant.
- The roads are icy and dangerous for drivers.
- Slippery roads and streets lead to unwanted accidents.
- Snowfalls and snowstorms are always the cause of terrible traffic jams.
- There is a great number of sparkling icicles hanging from the roofs. They can be really dangerous.
- Winter is a good time for sledding and tobogganing, making snowmen and playing snowballs. What fun it is to make a snow angel!
- Winter sports like ice hockey, bobsleigh, snowboarding, skiing, ski jumping, skating, figure skating are very popular.
- You can see lots of people in the skating rinks.
- Many people like to spend their winter vacation in the mountains.
- Avalanche in the mountains is very dangerous.
- It’s usually bitterly cold in winter and people need to wear warm coats, fur coats, woolen caps and fur caps, high boots, scarves, mittens and gloves.
- Winter is a hard time for animals and birds. They try to find enough food.
- Some animals like bears, hedgehogs and badgers hibernate (sleep) in their holes.
- There are lots of holidays in winter.
- The greatest holidays in winter are Christmas and New Year. And we say on these days “Merry Christmas” and “Happy New Year”.