Learn British Traditions: the Queen’s Official Birthday
Queen Elizabeth II celebrates two birthdays each year. Her actual birthday is on 21 April and the Queen’s official birthday is on the second Saturday in June.
was born – народилась
Queen Elizabeth II was born on April 21st 1926.
official – офіційний
Queen’s official birthday is in June.
midday – полудень
gun salute – гарматний салют
At midday there are gun salutes in London.
Hyde Park – Гайд Парк
Hyde Park is in London.
anthem – гімн
The National Anthem is played on the radio.
God save our gracious Queen!
Long live our noble Queen!
God save the Queen.
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen.
national – національний, державний
Our national flag is blue and yellow.
celebration – святкування
There aren’t any big celebrations in April.
main – головний
The main celebrations are in June.
parade – парад
Thousands of people from around the world watch the Birthday Parade.
tradition – традиція
This tradition started in 1748.
royal – королівський
It’s the biggest royal celebration of the year in Britain.
the Trooping of the Colour – святковий парад на День народження королеви
On the Queen’s official birthday, the Queen and her family watch soldiers in a parade called the Trooping of the Colour.
This presentation will help you speak about the Queen’s official birthday.
Speak about the Queen’s Official Birthday
- Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- She was born on April 21st 1926.
- She also has an official birthday in June.
- On April 21st the Queen has a quiet day with her family and friends.
- At midday there are gun salutes in London – in Hyde Park, in Windsor Great Park and in the Tower of London.
- The National Anthem is played on the radio.
- On Queen’s official birthday there is a parade called the Trooping of the Colour.
- This tradition started in 1748.
- At twenty to eleven the Queen leaves Buckingham Palace.
- The parade starts at eleven o’clock.
- The foot soldiers and the soldiers on horses follow the Queen.
- The parade lasts about an hour.
- The planes fly past Buckingham Palace at one o’clock.
- Thousands of people from around the world watch the Birthday Parade.
- It is the biggest royal celebration of the year in Britain.