Learn to speak about Kyiv the capital of Ukraine
Level A1+ / A2
How many times have you been to Kyiv the capital of Ukraine?
What are your favourite places of interest there?
Speak about Kyiv the Capital of Ukraine
- The capital of Ukraine is Kyiv.
- It is an ancient and beautiful city.
- According to the legend the founders of Kyiv were three brothers Kyi, Schek, Khoriv and their sister Lybid.
- The city took its name after the eldest brother Kyi.
- Kyiv is situated on the Dnipro River.
- More than three million people live in Kyiv.
- The streets of Kyiv are wide and nice.
- They are lined up with chestnut trees, lime trees and poplars.
- A chestnut is a symbol of Kyiv.
- The main street of the capital is Khreshchatyk Street.
- Kyiv is the political, economic, scientific, industrial and cultural center of Ukraine.
- There are many museums, art galleries, concert halls, theatres and cinemas in Kyiv.
- St. Sophia Cathedral, Kyiv Pecherska Lavra, the Golden Gate and many other places are popular with tourists.
- You can travel around the city by buses, trolley-buses, trams, cars and an underground.
- There is a railway station, an airport and a river port in Kyiv.
- Ukrainians are proud of their capital.
Check whether you know these words:
be famous for – бути відомим чимось
a famous centre of culture – відомий центр культури
be proud of – пишатися
We are proud of our town. – Ми пишаємось нашим містом.
according to the legend – згідно з легендою
chestnut tree – каштан
founder – засновник
main – головний
wide – широкий
are lined up – обсаджені
lime tree – липа
poplar – тополя
political – політичний
economic – економічний
scientific – науковий
industrial – промисловий
cultural – культурний
cathedral – собор
the Golden Gate – Золоті Ворота
railway station – залізничний вокзал
an airport – аеропорт