London is the capital of the United Kingdom
What do you know about London UK Capital? Let’s learn some interesting facts about the capital city of the United Kingdom.
Level A1 / A1+ Elementary / Upper Elementary
Word List London UK Capital
the Thames – Темза
bridge – міст
tower – вежа, башта
Tower Bridge – Тауерський міст
famous – відомий
places of interest – пам’ятки, визначні місця
the Tower of London – Лондонський Тауер
museum – музей
the Houses of Parliament – Палати парламенту
seat – місце
British government – Британський уряд
call – називати
Westminster Abbey – Вестмінстерське абатство
royal – королівський
church – церква, храм
St. Paul’s Cathedral – Собор Святого Павла
building – будинок, будівля, споруда
Trafalgar Square – Трафальгарська площа
monument – пам’ятник
Admiral Nelson – Адмірал Нельсон
the Nelson Column – колона Нельсона
Buckingham Palace – Букінгемський палац
Piccadilly Circus – площа Пікаділлі
double-decker – двоповерховий автобус
Speak about London UK Capital
- London is the capital of Great Britain.
- It is one of the most interesting places in the world.
- About 8 million people live here.
- London stands on the river Thames.
- There are a lot of bridges over the river.
- Tower Bridge is the most famous.
- There are lots of places of interest in London.
- One of the oldest is the Tower of London.
- Now it is museum.
- The Houses of Parliament is the seat of the British government.
- There is a famous clock on its Clock Tower called Big Ben.
- Westminster Abbey is one the oldest royal churches.
- St. Paul’s Cathedral is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world.
- Trafalgar Square is in the centre of London.
- There is a monument to Admiral Nelson in the centre of the square.
- It is called the Nelson Column.
- Buckingham Palace is the home place of the Queen.
- Piccadilly Circus is a meeting place of six streets.
- There are many beautiful parks in London.
- The famous London Zoo is in Regent’s Park.
- It is one of the biggest zoos in the world.
- There are about ten thousand streets in London with a lot of shops and cafes, cinemas and theatres, galleries and museums.
- Big red buses called double-deckers run up and down the streets.
- The oldest metro in the world, called Tube is in London.
Answer the questions about London UK Capital
- What city is the capital of Great Britain?
- How many people live there?
- What river does it stand on?
- What is the most famous bridge over the Thames?
- What place of interest is one of the oldest in London?
- What building is the place of the British government?
- How is the famous clock of London called?
- What is one of the oldest royal churches in London?
- Is Paul’s Cathedral one of the most beautiful buildings in the world?
- What square is in the centre of London?
- What monument is in the centre of this square?
- What is the home place of the British Queen?
- How many streets meet in Piccadilly Circus?
- Are there many beautiful parks in London?
- Is the famous London Zoo in Regent’s Park or in Hyde Park?
- Is London Zoo one of the biggest zoos in the world?
- How many streets are there in London? What can you see in them?
- How are London big red buses called?
- How do Londoners call metro? Is it the oldest underground in the world?