Read the texts about Taras Shevchenko.
Make up your own report about the great Ukrainian poet.
Present your report in class.
- Taras Shevchenko is a famous Ukrainian poet, artist and thinker.
- He was born on March 9th, 1814 in the village of Moryntsi.
- His parents’ names were Grigory and Catherina.
- Taras Shevchenko was a serf.
- The surname of his owner was Engelhardt.
- Shevchenko’s freedom from Engelhardt was bought in 1838 for 2,500 rubles.
- His first collection of verse was Kobzar.
- It was published in 1840.
- Taras Shevchenko painted the picture « Kateryna » in 1842 and expressed his strong protest against the tragic fate of the serf women.
- Shevchenko wrote his famous «Testament» in 1845 in Pereyaslav.
- Shevchenko marked a new stage in the development of Ukraine literature.
- His poems Kateryna, Haidamaky, drama Nazar Stodolya, and My Testament are focused on the theme of struggle against tsarist autocracy.
- In 1847 Taras Shevchenko was arrested and sent to the Orenburg steppes.
- T. Shevchenko was interested in English culture and literature.
- His favourite playwright was William Shakespeare.
- Shevchenko appreciated the novel by Daniel Defoe «Robinson Crusoe» and made a drawing to the novel.
- He painted over 150 portraits, 43 of them self-portraits.
- Taras Shevchenko wrote a textbook for Sunday schools (The South Russian ABC) in 1861.
- He died in 1861.
- I believe that written hundreds of years ago Shevchenko’s works are very popular nowadays.
- I think Shevchenko is one of the most famous and loved by people Ukrainian writers.