Discover the UK
Let’s discover the United Kingdom together and learn some interesting facts about this country.
Year 5 Level A1+
discover – відкривати
Do you know who discovered America?
discovery – відкриття
Scientists made many scientific discoveries. Penicillin was a significant medical discovery.
Great Britain – Великобританія
The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Ireland – Ірландія
St. Patrick’s Day is a holiday in Ireland. They spent summer vacation in Ireland.
Discover IrelandHave you heard that Irish people have some strange customs? Can you imagine that they believe a small green plant that has three leaves can bring luck? Also, they have a strange thought that it’s bad to put your new shoes on the table. And you shouldn’t give anything sharp to your friend not to ‘cut’ your friendship.
Northern Ireland – Північна Ірландія
Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. Her father comes from Northern Ireland.
kingdom – королівство
They visited many kingdoms in Europe. Norway is a kingdom.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland – Сполучене Королівство Великої Британії та Північної Ірландії
The full name of the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Scotland – Шотландія
Scotland is in the north. Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in Scotland.
Edinburgh – Единбург
Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland. Edinburgh is not the biggest city in Scotland.
Wales – Уельс
Wales is part of the United Kingdom. She comes from Wales.
Cardiff – Кардиф
Cardiff is the capital of Wales.
Belfast – Белфаст
Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland.
be situated – бути розташованим
London is situated on the River Thames. Kyiv is situated on the Dnipro River. My hometown is situated on the hills of the right bank of the Dnipro River.
consist of – складатися з
The UK consists of four countries. This dish consists of rice and vegetables.
Union Jack – Об’єднаний Джек (прапор Великої Британії)
Union Jack is the name of the British flag.
unite – об’єднувати
Union Jack unites flags of the parts of the UK. The thirteen American colonies united to form new nation.
cross – хрест
Union Jack is made up of three crosses.
symbol – символ
Each country of the United Kingdom has its symbol.
imagine – уявити
Imagine that you are in London now. You can’t imagine how beautiful the city is!
keep traditions – зберігати традиції
People of the UK keep their traditions. We keep our family traditions.
custom – звичай
What customs do you have for New Year in your country? There are many customs and traditions in the United Kingdom.
explore – досліджувати
The best way to explore the countryside is on foot. We should explore customs and traditions of Great Britain. This website has many different pages for you to explore.
daffodil – нарцис
The symbol of Wales is a daffodil. Daffodils are beautiful spring flowers.
thistle – будяк
The symbol of Scotland is a thistle.
Read and speak about the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- The full name of the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- The United Kingdom is situated on the British Isles to the north-west of Europe.
- There are four countries in the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- The capital of England and of the UK is London.
- It stands on the River Thames.
- Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland.
- Cardiff is the capital of Wales.
- Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland.
- The flag of the United Kingdom has a name.
- It’s called Union Jack because it unites flags of the parts of the UK.
- Union Jack is made up of three crosses: the Cross of St. George (England), the Cross of St. Andrew (Scotland) and the Cross of St. Patrick (Ireland).
- The British flag is blue, red and white.
- The head of the United Kingdom is Queen Elisabeth II.
- People of the UK keep their traditions.
- Each country of the United Kingdom has its symbol.
- The symbol of England is a red rose.
- The symbol of Wales is a daffodil.
- The symbol of Scotland is a thistle.
- The symbol of Northern Ireland is a shamrock and a red hand.
- The official language of Great Britain is English.
- British money is called pounds and their coins are pence.
Have more practice.
I’m sure this presentation will help you discover the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and speak about the country without any problems.
Leave A Comment