Form 5 Discover the UK.
Read and speak about the United Kingdom.
- The full name of the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- The United Kingdom is situated on the British Isles to the north-west of Europe.
- There are four countries in the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- The capital of England and of the UK is London.
- It stands on the River Thames.
- Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland.
- Cardiff is the capital of Wales.
- Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland.
- The flag of the United Kingdom has a name.
- It’s called Union Jack because it unites flags of the parts of the UK.
- Union Jack is made up of three crosses: the Cross of St. George (England), the Cross of St. Andrew (Scotland) and the Cross of St. Patrick (Ireland).
- The British flag is blue, red and white.
- The head of the United Kingdom is Queen Elisabeth II.
- People of the UK keep their traditions.
- Each country of the United Kingdom has its symbol.
- The symbol of England is a red rose.
- The symbol of Wales is a daffodil.
- The symbol of Scotland is a thistle.
- The symbol of Northern Ireland is a shamrock and a red hand.
- The official language of Great Britain is English.
- British money is called pounds and their coins are pence.
Have more practice.
I’m sure this presentation will help you speak about the United Kingdom without any problems.